Young Trustee - Finance
|Job Title:||Young Trustee - Finance|
|Contact Name:||Jo Wells|
|Job Published:||May 21, 2019 09:13|
The Blagrave Trust is an independent charitable funder. Our mission is to bring lasting change to the lives of the most disadvantaged young people aged 14-25 to enable a positive transition to adulthood. We work in the South East of England in the counties of Berkshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire and Sussex, but we also fund other national and London based work. We make grants of c. £2 million per year.
The Blagrave Trustees are looking to recruit a new trustee to our Board. This is part of a wider recruitment which will entail a new Chair and 3 further young trustees during 2019.
Our core ambitions are:
- To promote and empower young people as powerful forces for change, and ensure their voices are heard in matters than affect them
- To achieve social impact beyond our immediate partners in pursuit of a fair and just society
The Trust is run by a small team of four paid staff: the Director, a Regional Partnerships Manager, a Policy Manager and the Listening Fund Project Manager. See www.blagravetrust.org for more information about what we do.
We currently have a board of seven, two of whom are young people aged 24 and 26. At the end of 2019 our current Chair is standing down as are one or two of our other long-standing trustees. We are therefore recruiting 4 new trustee roles: a Chair of trustees; two trustees under 25, and this advertised role for a further ‘young’ trustee – ideally, 30 or under. The slightly upper age limit for this role reflects the specific remit on finance, which we feel may require a different skills set and professional confidence, however we are very open to
someone who is aged 18 and above.
It is essential that the Trust has strong financial skills on our Board – to inform and monitor our investment strategy; to ensure adequate oversight of all our expenditure and income; to support the Director during the audit period. Whilst the Chair will obviously maintain strong oversight over these aspects of our work and we will also establish a Finance and Investment Committee, which could comprise external paid advisors to support us, the Board feels that it is also important that we recruit a younger Board member in line with our
mission who can bring these skills. The Finance and Investment Committee will allow for some focused time to look at finance and investments: property, accounts, investment funds, financial forecasting and AOB.
We are looking for young people who have:
- Strong financial literacy and a qualification or equivalent experience in this area of work. E.g. A relevant A-level or other qualification e.g. business studies, economics,maths
- Ideally some professional experience - in a finance team or an investment setting
- Willingness to undertake training to build skills and knowledge
- Interest in and/or experience of Trust and Foundation endowments and investment policy
- Ability to communicate and explain financial information to the rest of the Board
- For reasons of logistics we would prefer young people from the region we fund or from London.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's