VOLUNTEER TRUSTEE @ Financial and Legal Advice Charity
|Job Title:||VOLUNTEER TRUSTEE @ Financial and Legal Advice Charity|
|Salary:||Voluntary Trustee Position|
|Contact Name:||Neil Jennings|
|Job Published:||March 12, 2020 12:20|
Accounting for International Development (AfID) offers volunteer assignments for accountants and auditors across the UK, Africa, Asia & South America including Trustee/Treasurer roles and financial capacity building placements from 2 to 12 weeks.
Our partner is an independent, local charity that provides information, advice and support to the residents in South West London. Working in partnership with community, social and faith networks, they help thousands of people a year.
Several Trustees are likely to retire from the Board over the course of the next year and they have identified a set of skills and experience that would benefit the organisation. As part of this, they are looking for someone with a finance / accountancy background and an interest in becoming their Treasurer when the current postholder steps down in 2020.
- Leading on Finance Committee meetings to discuss finances in more detail
- Explain, guide and advise the board on the key assumptions and financial implications of budgets, operational and strategic plans
- Ensure that the organisation has an appropriate reserves policy and a realistic budget that meets the services’ needs
- Supporting any paid finance officer to explain, guide and advise on the approval of budgets, accounts and financial statements with the organisation’s framework
- Present accounts at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) in an accessible way for volunteers and staff
- Ensure that annual accounts are prepared in compliance with SORPAccounting for Charities and submitted by the deadline to the Charity Commission and/or Registrar of Companies, and make arrangements for them to be audited or independently examined as required
- Keep the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Monitor the organisation’s income and expenditure position and in conjunction with any paid finance officer present accessible reports at least quarterly to ensure board members understand the accounts and implications
- Understand the accounting procedures and key internal controls to be able to assure the board that the charity's financial integrity is sound
Trustee Board meetings and Finance Committee meetings usually take place in the evenings and the time commitment required is likely to be 4-5 hours quarterly, plus time to prepare for these.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's