Volunteer trustee and honorary treasurer to join The Dyslexia Teaching Centre (DTC) board
|Job Title:||Volunteer trustee and honorary treasurer to join The Dyslexia Teaching Centre (DTC) board|
|Reference:||REF - 001|
|Contact Name:||Rosalind Morrill|
|Job Published:||November 05, 2018 13:33|
We are a small but energetic charity looking for a trustee to join our board to help us develop our initiative to provide support to children with SPLDs (dyslexia and related difficulties) in state primary schools in London.
Dyslexia and related difficulties affect about 10% of the population. If not diagnosed and supported appropriately, children can easily drop out of education and find themselves very vulnerable. More than 40% of the prison population is estimated to have dyslexia. We don’t think this is a coincidence.
We currently operate in 6 schools in Kensington and Hammersmith in the shadow of Grenfell Tower.
The charity has a trading subsidiary which provides tuition and support to children with dyslexia and related difficulties who come from families better able to pay. It operates out of premises in Kensington Square though due to redevelopment we are currently seeking a new home.
We are looking for a trustee who is passionate about helping children achieve their potential when the odds are stacked against them and who is either a qualified accountant or has a finance background to act as our honorary treasurer.
You will be able to:
- Spend around 2 to 5 hours per month working from home by email to carry out certain specific tasks and others as the need arises
- Attend a budget meeting once a year with the Chair, DTC Director and bookkeeper
- Attend approximately six board meetings a year, usually on a weekday morning, which take place near our offices in Kensington and last about 2 hours
- Provide support for fundraising activities and events as they arise
What the role involves
- Independently review the monthly financial statements prepared by the DTC bookkeeper for reasonableness
- Prepare a brief summary of findings for each board meeting – or sooner by email if necessary – and present to the board. Follow up matters arising
- Identify areas for improvement in financial reporting and controls. Suggest solutions and liaise with the bookkeeper
- Identify significant financial risks to the board and suggest appropriate measures to mitigate and manage these
- Critique the annual budget and challenge the assumptions prepared by the Director and bookkeeper. Discuss at the annual budget meeting
- Review the published annual accounts prepared by the bookkeeper and feedback matters arising prior to him sending them to the Independent Examiner, Saffery Champness
Non-financial support to the board of Trustees
- Participate and advise on strategic matters raised at board meetings
- Raise and/or support ideas for fundraising activities and their implementation
If this is of interest please apply by email to email@example.com by 30th November 2018, with your CV and a brief statement of up to 500 words of why you want to be a trustee and what you think you would bring to this particular role.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Honorary Treasurer and Trustee
Voluntary Unpaid Position
Secretary to the Board of Trustrees
0 - 0
VOLUNTEER TRUSTEE @ INGO Using Film To Empower Local Communities
Voluntary Trustee Position
Volunteer Sea Scouts Treasurer
0 - 0