Volunteer Treasurer Waterperry Opera Festival
|Job Title:||Volunteer Treasurer Waterperry Opera Festival|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Job Published:||October 06, 2021 21:02|
Waterperry Opera Festival, a charity, is a unique and innovative opera festival hosted at the beautiful Waterperry House & Gardens in Oxfordshire. The festival offers high-quality, accessible and socially relevant work, created and performed by a diverse company, which bridges the gap between artists and audiences.
We aim to:
- Make our work accessible and inclusive – by developing new diverse audiences for opera, producing work in English, where possible, and offering affordable tickets to our audiences.
- Create socially relevant work – by making it meaningful to today’s audiences through an exploration of contemporary social issues and timeless themes that touch the very nature of the human condition.
- Bridge the gap between artists and audiences – by offering innovative, immersive and site-responsive work, pushing the boundaries of the operatic form, and producing talks, masterclasses, and workshops to inform, encourage and inspire.
- Support a diverse community of artists – by offering equal opportunity for all, growing a company from a broad variety of backgrounds, and developing diverse emerging talent on our Young Artist Programme.
The Festival was founded four years ago. The main Festival runs in August, and there are external ad hoc performances as agreed with third party venues during the year. Later in 2021 we are presenting two performances of Handel’s Messiah in the Waterperry House.
Our Trustees volunteer their time to govern the charity, ensure there is a clear strategy and that work and objectives are in line with our vision.
We are looking for a qualified accountant/experienced Finance professional, with Board experience, to join our Board of Trustees as Treasurer on a pro bono basis to take the lead on keeping finances in order and meeting finance governance requirements. Our Board is welcoming and fully committed to the vision.
- Strong knowledge of charity finances and the Charity Commission's requirements, or willingness to develop this knowledge
- Good financial management experience and preferably a professional accountancy qualification
- The ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders as necessary
- The ability to provide advice on financial matters affecting the charity
- An understanding of finance and risk management related to our finances
- A collaborative approach to working with Trustees, our people and partner organisations
- An interest in, and passion for, our work
Advising the Board on financial matters
Presenting financial reports to the Board
Preparing budgets and accounts
Liaising with external auditors and any financial advisers
Reviewing business cases
Preparing the year end return to the Charities Commission
Attendance at four Board meetings pa. Responsibilities include preparing financial reports for these meetings.
Ad-hoc meetings with the Chief Executive to review the financial position and prepare the annual budget
Meetings with the independent examiner and advisers as required
In total the commitment is estimated to be around 2/3 days per month on average
How to apply
Please send a CV and a covering letter to email@example.com telling us about yourself, why you would like to become involved and how you would be able to contribute.
If you would like an informal discussion with our Chair Judith Tew before applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details to pass on.
Waterperry Opera Festival is a registered charity in England and Wales, no. 1177966. More information is available on our website www.waterperryoperafestival.co.uk