12 days ago
Live Unlimited is a new charity set up to provide support and inspiration for looked after children and care leavers to help them fulfil their potential and follow their dreams.
Looked after children and care leavers are among the most vulnerable members of society with life chances significantly poorer than their peers raised by their birth families.
While less than one per cent of children in England have spent time in care, statistics show that a quarter of the adult prison population and almost half of young men aged below 21 in the criminal justice system have spent time in care. 20-30 per cent of homeless people have been in care while a quarter of young women leave the care system pregnant. With often harrowing experiences of abuse and neglect, it is not surprising therefore that children in care are four times more likely than their peers to have a mental health difficulty.
By getting involved as a trustee you have a real chance to make a difference to the lives of these young people, providing them with opportunities and inspiration to help them reach their full potential.
As a new charity, this is an exciting opportunity to help us grow into a creative and dynamic organisation which puts looked after young people at the heart of everything we do.
You will get the chance to shape Live Unlimited, working with a friendly and dedicated Board of Trustees, and make a real difference to the lives of Barnet's looked after young people.
We are looking for a Treasurer who shares our values and vision to give every young person who has spent time in Barnet's care the same opportunities to thrive as children living with their birth families.
The Treasurer maintains an overview of Live Unlimited’s [LU] financial affairs ensuring LU’s financial viability. The Treasurer is responsible for ensuring that proper financial records, accounts and procedures are maintained. They will need to be available to attend board meetings in person up to six times per year with additional operational meetings and sub-groups as necessary.
In addition to board meetings, other contact - usually by email/phone - will be required. Trustees may be asked to attend occasional evening meetings and events as a representative of the charity.
The time commitment for a trustee is expected to be up to a day a month.
The Board of Trustees currently comprises 8 members; Chair, Treasurer (retiring), Secretary, Fundraising leads (two trustees), Safeguarding lead (one trustee), Voice of the Looked after Child lead (one trustee) and project development lead (one trustee) .
We are particularly keen to recruit a Treasurer with strong numeracy skills (preferably an accountancy background), ideally who has worked within the charity or voluntary sector.
In addition to the general responsibilities of a trustee, duties of the Treasurer include the following:
- Monitoring Live Unlimited's ’s financial activity and ensuring it is consistent with our policies and legal responsibilities
- Being assured that the financial resources of Live Unlimited meet its present and future needs
- Keeping the trustee board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Advising on the financial implications of Live Unlimited's strategic plans
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
- Contributing to the fundraising strategy of Live Unlimited
- Overseeing, presenting and approving budgets, accounts and financial statements drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
- Liaising with financial administrative staff and volunteers about financial matters as required
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders, the Charity Commission and any other relevant statutory bodies
- Ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required according to thresholds decided by prevailing legislation. Please refer to CC15c Charity Reporting and Accounting