Voluntary Treasurer Trustee
|Job Title:||Voluntary Treasurer Trustee|
|Contact Name:||Ann Reynard|
|Job Published:||February 03, 2019 14:24|
Our amazing and passionate Treasurer has been with Downright Excellent (DEx) for 5 years and helped the organisation grow significantly; he is now moving on and will leave at the end of March after a few weeks to handover to the new Treasurer. He says ‘DEx has been a fantastic developmental experience with friendly, knowledgeable colleagues and a great mission. DEx was started in 2005 by a few parents with very young children with Down syndrome (DS) and became a charity in 2007. We provide customised services and support that make a huge impact on families’ lives and the development of their children. 115 families come to DEx for highly specialised Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy, intensive educational programmes and a range of supporting activities. We receive no mainstream funding but rely on constant fundraising to meet expenses. All DEx Trustees are committed to sustaining the organisation and bettering the lives of as many children with DS as they can. Our vision is to be a centre of excellence for all children with DS in London and to develop materials, methods and research to share widely.
Treasure/Trustee Role Description
The Treasurer takes the lead in overseeing the financial affairs of the organisation. The Treasurer will assist other trustees to perform their financial duties by interpreting and explaining accounting requirements, ensuring that the Board receives reports containing the information trustees need in an 'easy to understand' format, and helping trustees guide any other professional advisers they have appointed. The DEx Treasurer is supported by the financial adviser/bookkeeper, the DEx Manager, and the DEx Administrator. Our annual turnover will rise slightly to approx. £230,000 in 2019.
In addition, the newly appointed Treasurer in 2019 will be expected to play an active part in developing a robust fundraising strategy and in assisting income generation. The Big Lottery Fund’s current significant grant contribution will cease in March 2020 and a major fundraising push was launched in 2018. (The full role description is available upon request).
Desired personal and professional qualities and experience:
- Commitment to the organisation and its purpose
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort (average 2 – 2.5 hrs per week).
- Strategic vision and ability to think creatively
- Sound independent judgement
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Interest in the non-financial aspects of the organisation
- Relevant financial qualifications and experience
- Some experience of charity finance and fundraising or an interest in learning these rapidly.
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
- Preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the board
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
Frequency of Board meetings and length of tenure
- DEx Trustees meet bi-monthly in London near Mansion House tube station.
- Trustees retire after 3 years and may be re-elected immediately. It is usual to step down after 3 years. We very much hope our new Treasurer will stay!
DEx application process:
Please upload a covering letter as asked by ICAEW explaining why this role appeals to you and what you can bring to DEx. If you would like further information and organisational documents, please contact email@example.com cc firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
Closing date for applications is midnight Tuesday 12th Feb.
We will shortlist and notify all applicants of the result by Thursday 14th Feb
Interviews will be held between 5 – 8pm on Tuesday 19th Feb near Mansion House tube station.
The role will commence in full at the next Board meeting on Thursday 28th March when the current office holder will retire - after some time working with the Treasurer to be and providing information and support.
Very many thanks for your attention and we look forward to your application.