Voluntary Non-Executive Director - Treasurer
|Job Title:||Voluntary Non-Executive Director - Treasurer|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Laura Baker|
|Job Published:||September 30, 2020 16:51|
BTP’s current treasurer is moving on to other projects and we are recruiting his successor. We are looking for a strategic thinker with a track record in financial leadership and a keen interest in our work to support women to develop their confidence and participation in our local community.
Beyond The Page Ltd (BTP) is a not-for-profit company based in Thanet, east Kent. Our organisation aim is to support and enable women born outside the UK to become confident, active citizens in their local communities.
Our project, United Mothers, offers women-only English classes free of targets, certificates and pressure. The sessions allow women often excluded from English class to be able to learn in a friendly atmosphere, no matter their cultural, religious or linguistic background. The approach is unique, combining ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) with Natural Voice techniques to build social integration and encourage active citizenship through mutual learning and contributions. In August 2020 we launched United Mothers Chatrooms, five online groups every week with English language conversation, digital skill development and health and government information. Our programmes are for all women and are free to join; there are no entry criteria, legal or financial.
Since 2015, United Mothers has supported almost 250 women from 47 countries. Our income in the last financial year was approximately £110,000. We receive no government funding and rely on making successful applications to grant-making organisations. Current funders include the Tudor Trust, Kent Community Foundation, the National Lottery (Covid Fund) and Sisters of the Holy Cross.
BTP is a non-profit company limited by guarantee. BTP’s directors are registered at Companies House. We are:
- Executive director
- Non- executive directors (NEDs) including the treasurer (up to 6 positions)
NEDs hold a voluntary role and receive no remuneration. Reasonable expenses can be claimed, in line with BTP policy for attendance at board and other meetings or events necessary for the fulfilment of the treasurer role.
The staff team comprises:
- Executive director
- Practice director
- Operations manager
- ESOL Facilitator
- Outreach worker
- Teaching Assistant
Volunteers support the core programme sessions and our community and outreach events.
Duties of the treasurer
In addition to the general duties of a NED, the treasurer has particular responsibilities to maintain an overview of BTP’s activities, ensuring they remain sustainable and that we use our resources effectively to achieve the organisation’s aims. They need to ensure that BTP maintains the highest level of financial governance and reporting.
Duties of a NED
- Ensure that BTP complies with its governing document, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensure that BTP pursues its objects as defined in its governing documents
- Ensure that BTP applies its resources exclusively to the pursuit of its objects and does not spend money on activities which are not included
- Contribute actively to the board of directors, offering advice and guidance on areas including overall policy, defining strategic direction, evaluating performance and developing skills and resources to support meeting our goals
- Safeguard the good name and values of BTP
- Ensure the financial stability of BTP.
Specific responsibilities of the treasurer
- Oversee, approve and present budgets, accounts and financial statements to the board
- Be assured that BTP’s financial resources meet its present and future needs
- Ensure that proper accounting procedures and controls are in place
- Advise on the financial implications of BTP’s strategic plans
- Ensure that accounts are prepared in accordance with financial best practice and meet the requirements of regulators, funders and relevant statutory bodies
- Approve expenditure in accordance with bank mandates and BTP’s financial procedures manual
- Liaise with staff about financial matters.
The treasurer is expected to attend all four board meetings each year and the full awayday which is held in Broadstairs. Regular meetings are alternately face-to-face and online, with timings flexible to accommodate directors’ lives as far as possible.
Additionally, the treasurer will meet with the Executive director and Operations manager to discuss financial management and budgets. S/he will be supported by the Operations manager who prepares and updates regular budgets, cash flow and project funding applications.
We estimate the average time commitment will be up to one day a month.
The treasurer must be:
- Kent-based, with an understanding of Thanet’s socio-economic context.
- Collaborative, open-minded and able to work creatively and effectively with the team and other directors
- Agile and responsive, in order to understand and support our work in challenging circumstances
- Understand and share BTP’s vision and values
- Hold a recognised financial qualification and relevant financial experience
- Have experience of non-profit finance
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a non-executive director
- Demonstrate good, independent judgement and willingness to speak their mind
- Have integrity and commitment to meet the requirements of the role.
How to apply:
- Please supply your CV
- Covering letter explaining why you are applying for this position and how your experience and expertise fits the role.
Once you have completed your application documents, please return them to: Laura Baker, Operations Development Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Friday 23rd October.
We hope you will also complete and return the equality monitoring form on our website. All information given to us on this monitoring form will be separated from application documents on receipt and will be held anonymously and reported for monitoring purposes only.
Interview date: Wednesday 04th November
Interviews will take place on zoom, and we will check with you in advance ensure you can connect.
Full details of interview tasks and timings will be supplied in advance.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you are not sure whether you meet the criteria for this post, you may make an informal enquiry to me at email@example.com.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's