Vice Chair of Finance, Risk and Audit Committee, and Board Trustee
|Job Title:||Vice Chair of Finance, Risk and Audit Committee, and Board Trustee|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Job Published:||November 30, 2021 13:34|
Organisation Type Charity/NFP
Position Title Vice Chair of Finance, Risk and Audit Committee
Duration of Appointment 3 years
Remuneration Expenses paid
Industry / Sector Health/Medical Services
Skills Finance, Audit, Risk, IT
Closing Date 7 January 2022
DEBRA is seeking a qualified Accountant to become Vice Chair of its Finance, Risk and Audit Committee which oversees the financial controls and stability of the Charity. Our FRA Committee advises our Board of Trustees and is responsible for ensuring that the Charity’s resources are used effectively to support our provision of lifelong care and support for sufferers of the genetic skin disorder Epidermolysis Bullosa (“EB”), and to support our investments in cutting edge research to find a cure for this debilitating condition.
It is an excellent time to join DEBRA. There are exciting avenues opening up to us on the research side, and our Senior Management Team is keen to ambitiously develop our healthcare, support and membership services. We recognise that greater diversity will support us in this period of growth and are actively encouraging applicants from wide-ranging backgrounds. It is anticipated that the newly appointed Vice Chair of FRA will be appointed Chair of FRA when the present incumbent retires from the Board of Trustees in May 2024.
Key responsibilities of the Finance, Risk and Audit Committee are to:
- Submit the annual Budget for the Charity for consideration by the Trustee Board.
- Ensure routines, reports and accounts are established to monitor and control the finances of the Charity.
- Ensure compliance with Financial Regulations and Financial Procedures and propose to the Trustee Board any necessary amendments to those regulations and procedures.
- Decide on action to be taken in the event of any breaches of the regulations or procedures being reported by the Director of Finance.
- Monitor and advise on compliance with statutory reporting requirements and approved financial practice and regulation.
- Recommend to the Trustee Board the appointment of external auditors and appoint as necessary internal auditors.
- Consider reports from internal and external auditors in respect of financial reporting and control.
- Approve the programme of work for internal auditors.
- Review the Risk Register of the Charity and recommend risk management strategies as necessary.
- Recommend to the Trustee Board the adoption of the annual accounts.
- Review and submit the annual rolling 5 Year Business Plan to the Trustee Board for approval.
- Review the DEBRA Reserves Policy on an on-going basis and recommend to the Trustee Board the minimum level of reserves to be held.
- Management of the charity’s funds, informing the Trustee Board of major movements between funds.
- To maintain a strong working relationship with the CEO, the FD and other members of the Senior Management Team.
While DEBRA’s Head Office is based in Bracknell, Berkshire, our membership is spread across the UK. To be truly representative of that membership we encourage applicants from anywhere in the UK and committee members can access meetings virtually. We provide any training necessary to allow you to fulfil your committee duties. This is an unpaid volunteer role, but any reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed in line with the Charity’s expenses policy.
Meetings of the FRA Committee currently take place five times a year, each lasting between 3-4 hours. In addition, there are 4 main Board meetings per year of between 3-4 hours each. The term of appointment will be three years initially with the possibility of renewal up to a maximum of two further terms.
A successful applicant would be welcome to apply to be a Trustee during 2022.
DEBRA was the world’s first EB patient support group, set up in 1978 by Phyllis Hilton whose daughter Debra had EB. We have come a long way since then, working internationally through a network of nearly 50 DEBRA groups to share information and best practice.
We fund pioneering research, provide specialist healthcare, promote international best practice and deliver lifelong support to individuals, families and the entire EB Community.
Our support includes:
- Providing practical, financial and emotional support and advocacy for people with EB and their families.
- Partnering with the NHS to provide specialist care and clinical care guidelines.
- Investing in world-class research and collaborating internationally to find a cure(s) and alleviate the debilitating effects of living with EB.
- Investing in our Community Support Team to provide support, information and advocacy for the EB community.
- Expanding and strengthening family health and community support networks to improve quality of care.
Like many charities, our income from fundraising, Gift Aid and our retail shops has been affected by the pandemic. Despite this, our amazing supporters, volunteers and staff have continued to give us unwavering support. We receive no statutory government funding, but were able to take full advantage of government incentives such as the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. Supporting DEBRA – through fundraising activities, direct donations, purchasing items in the retail shops or offering time as a volunteer – has a direct impact on the support we offer the EB community.
Our vision is for a future where no one suffers from EB. Until that day arrives, we work tirelessly to improve quality of life for the entire EB community.
We’re looking to recruit a qualified Accountant from any background. If you believe you have skills developed from your professional life combined with the proactivity, commitment and drive to make a difference and bring a new perspective we would love to hear from you.
- Qualified Accountant
- Experience of one or more of these fields:
- Charity Accounts
- Ability to challenge and to be a critical friend where necessary.
- Innovative and collaborative mindset.
- ‘Can do’ and positive attitude.
If you think you can help steer DEBRA’s Finance, Risk and Audit agenda as we journey forward, please send your CV, along with a covering letter (maximum of two sides) in which you answer the three questions below.
- Why do you want to become Vice Chair of DEBRA’s FRA Committee?
- What skills do you believe you can bring to the Committee?
- What experience will you bring to the Committee?
Please send your application to Martha.Desmond@debra.org.uk
If you would like to have an informal yet confidential discussion regarding the position, please contact the current chair: Joanne.Merchant@debra.org.uk
DEBRA is committed to being an inclusive charity, and we welcome and encourage applications from all sections of the community.
The successful candidate will need to undertake a DBS check and sign a Non-Disclosure agreement.
Term: Three years
Closing date: 7 January 2022
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's