Trustees including Treasurer
|Job Title:||Trustees including Treasurer|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||March 24, 2020 15:18|
As part of the Citizens Advice network we provide free, impartial, confidential and independent information, advice and support for the residents of Wandsworth.
As a Trustee at Citizens Advice Wandsworth you will help us to achieve social justice and economic benefits for the residents of Camden. Last year our 30 staff and 100 volunteers helped over 12,500 local people.
What will you be doing?
Each individual member of the trustee board has a responsibility to contribute to the discharging of the board’s duties. They can do this by:
- Maintaining an awareness of the business of Citizens Advice Wandsworth
- Taking responsibility for his or her own learning and development
- Regularly attending, preparing for and taking a full part in meetings
- Actively contributing to setting policy and strategic direction, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance
- Monitoring whether the service complies with its governing document, whether it meets Citizens Advice membership standards and how well the advice needs of the local community are being met
- Monitoring the financial position of the organisation and ensuring that it operates within its means and objects, and that there are clear lines of accountability for day-to-day financial management
- Supporting the development of the organisation through participation in agreed projects and sub-groups
- Actively seeking to further the strategic objectives of the organisation, and acting in the best interests of CAW at all times
- Maintaining confidentiality about any sensitive/confidential information received in the course of duties as a trustee.
The additional responsibilities of Treasurer include:
- Leading on any Finance Committee meetings to discuss finances in more detail
- Explain, guide and advise the board on the key assumptions and financial implications of the local Citizens’ Advice budgets, operational and strategic plans
- Ensure that the organisation has an appropriate reserves policy and a realistic budget that meets the services’ needs
- Supporting Chief Officer or Finance Manager to explain, guide and advise the local Citizens Advice on the approval of budgets, accounts and financial statements with the organisation’s framework
- Ensure that annual accounts are prepared in compliance with SORP (Statement of Recommended Practice) Accounting for Charities and submitted by the deadline to the Charity Commission and/or Registrar of Companies, and make arrangements for them to be audited or independently examined as required
- Monitor the organisation’s income and expenditure position and in conjunction with any paid finance officer present accessible reports at least quarterly to ensure board members understand the accounts and implications
What are we looking for?
You don’t need specific qualifications or skills but you’ll need to demonstrate:
- Commitment and availability to attend trustee board meetings
- Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion
- Willingness to gain knowledge of local needs and resources
- Commitment to the aims, principles and policies of CAW including those relating to equal opportunities, independence and policy influence
- Willingness and ability to act in the best interests of CAW
- Ability to understand and accept their responsibilities and liabilities as trustees and employers
- Willingness to participate in democratic process which develops Citizens Advice policies locally and nationally
- Numeracy to the extent required to understand CAW accounts with the support of a treasurer
- Willingness and ability to learn, develop and examine own attitudes
- Ability to think creatively and strategically and exercise good, independent judgement
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
Lived experience of issues that Citizens Advice Wandsworth addresses such as benefit issues, homelessness, debt, ill health/disability, discrimination and/or employment problems
Our volunteers come from a range of backgrounds and we particularly welcome applications from disabled people, people with physical or mental health conditions, LGBT+ and non-binary people, people from Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities, or people with lived experience of the issues our services address.
We are specifically looking for Trustees with a) Operations/IT experience and b) financial or accounting experience to become our Treasurer. For further details, please request an information pack.
What difference will you make?
At Citizens Advice Wandsworth we know that life can be complicated – sometimes things can go wrong for all of us and high quality advice at a time of crisis can make all the difference. Last year we helped over 12,500 people to resolve their problems via our Adviceline, from outreach settings across our diverse borough, and from our centres in Roehampton to Battersea.
As a Trustee you can help shape a thriving local advice agency. Join us and help us continue to build on our strong foundations, deliver high quality services, and empower our staff and volunteers to do what matters most - make a real difference to people’s lives in Wandsworth.
What's in it for the volunteer?
As a Trustee you will be able to:
- Make a positive impact for people in your local area by ensuring Citizens Advice Wandsworth is sustainable and meeting the needs of the community
- Meet people and build relationships with trustees, staff and other volunteers
- Build on your governance, leadership and strategy skills
- Increase your employability
And we’ll reimburse expenses too.
Approximately 4 hours per quarter to prepare for and attend Board meetings, plus Committee meetings, an Away Day, occasional staff/volunteer events.
Before you apply
Please send your CV - including two referees and details of any Trusteeships or Directorships - and a personal statement no more than 2 sides A4 demonstrating how you meet the person specification and outlining your future vision and ambition for Citizens Advice Wandsworth.
Deadline for applications is 17 Jan 2020
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's