14 days ago
Following the recent appointment of a new Non Executive Director, Trustees Unlimited and BDSIP are working together again to find a second senior and commercially-experienced NED who can contribute to shaping the future strategic direction and sound financial health of the organisation.
Barking and Dagenham School Improvement Partnership (BDSIP) is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee which is 81% owned by local schools and 19% by the council. It and has a revenue of c. £2.5m and 56 of the 60 schools in the borough own a stake in the company. Having recently spun out from the council it is a new organisation which, in addition to having the remit to develop a schools-led improvement system locally, provides a broad range of professional services to schools, including: 14-19 services - work experience, careers & Aim Higher; school improvement advisory support (statutory and traded); attendance and inclusion advisory support (traded); professional development; governor services and training; IT support and GDPR services; and recruitment and retention support.
As a new organisation with an established customer base, BDSIP is enjoying a period of rapid change and development as it creates the culture and ways of working needed for the future organisation. At the heart of this is a flexible, customer-focused approach which underpins growth in the breadth and clarity of their service offer.
BDSIP is seeking two high performing individuals to join the board. The Board comprises 6 head teacher directors, 2 council directors, a school governor director, the chief executive, and up to 3 non-executive directors, including the chair.
The latest NED to join the board offers commercial finance and relationship-management expertise, and BDSIP are now seeking similar senior-level expertise from other integral business areas, such as law, HR, business operations, and/or business development/marketing.
The Board currently meets monthly but will move to termly or half-termly once the organisation has been established for a while. The board meets 2 - 4pm in Dagenham. There are no sub committees at the moment but there is likely to be the opportunity to get involved in some working groups. Directors are appointed for 3 years initially.
BDSIP is interested to hear from a wide group of candidates. It is particularly interested in people who have some of the experience below:
- Commercial leadership experience in the SME sector
- Non-executive director experience, particularly in the not-for-profit sector
- Business development: experience of developing new propositions and services, and/or forging useful alliances with complementary organisations
- Professional expertise in a field relevant to BDSIP as a newly formed no-for-profit – HR, legal, financial, business operations, PR, sales and marketing, etc
- Critical thinking
- The ability to lead, and challenge constructively
- Ability to apply knowledge from other fields to suggest options and solutions which are relevant in BDSIP’s context
- Business acumen
- Strategic approach
- Energy and commitment – to BDSIP, and to Barking and Dagenham
How to apply
For full information about this opportunity, the recruitment timetable and to apply please follw the application link to the Trustees Unlimited website