|Salary:||0 - 200000|
|Contact Name:||Rachel Ord|
|Job Published:||November 13, 2020 17:12|
Goleudy Housing and Support Limited is a charity based in South Wales.
We prevent homelessness, provide housing and create opportunities. We have existed for 45 years, firstly as SASH (Swansea Action for Single Homeless), then as Caer Las, Today, we are Goleudy - Welsh for 'Lighthouse'.
Goleudy exists for our clients and our community. Our core purpose is simply, to prevent homelessness, and provide housing and opportunities for our clients. We also run Swansea Community Fridge, redistributing surplus fresh food into the community that would otherwise go to waste.
We are looking for new Trustees to join our Board
This is an exciting time for Goleudy. We are entering a period of strategic change and need skilled professionals to help shape our future and ensure that we can continue to provide housing and opportunities to those who need them.
Too many people in Wales experience homelessness, housing difficulties, and/ or poor-quality accommodation. These experiences can cause or exacerbate many associated problems: poor physical and mental health, decline in well-being, a downward spiral into substance and alcohol use, not to mention involvement in the criminal justice system.
Goleudy has a simple vision. If someone has no home, we get them housed, if someone is at risk of losing their home, we do whatever it takes to stop that happening.
As a Trustee, you will help to achieve this vision by contributing to the strategic direction and governance of the charity, and helping drive our brand new business plan forward.
The Board of Trustees has five principle areas of responsibility, and a number of associated duties that ensure the organisations Governance Function is of the highest possible standard:
- The co-construction, and implementation of strategy; e.g. ensuring Goleudy stays focused on its mission, objects and strategy
- The management of corporate risk
- Financial governance
- Scrutiny of the charity’s activities; e.g. ensuring Goleudy has appropriate policies, processes and resources
- Providing support and constructive challenge to the Chief Executive and Senior Management Team
Trustees are expected to fulfil the following duties in support of the above:
- Take part in Board meetings and contribute in such a way as to assist the Board reach sound decisions
- Scrutinise board papers, offer critical analysis and ask relevant questions
- Provide input in areas of specific expertise
- Provide guidance to the executive and other board members on topics of related expertise
- Sitting on recruitment and disciplinary and grievance panels as appropriate
- Sit on at least one subcommittee
- Contribute to governance development activities, including individual and group appraisals
- Other issues in which the trustee has special expertise
Having motivated and enthusiastic people who want to make a difference to the lives of our clients is critical. To this end, we are currently looking for prospective trustees from a wide variety of backgrounds, to help diversify and strengthen the strategic leadership of the organisation.
Goleudy is a charity that welcomes and embraces diversity. As such we are committed to ensuring that the Board of Trustees, possess all our requisite competencies, and that we embrace diversity of ideas, background, ethnicity, gender, age, social class, and professional experience.
What’s in it for the Trustees?
Goleudy provides services for people who are experiencing homelessness, housing difficulty or profound social exclusion. As such, successful applicants will have the opportunity to utilise their skills and can do so in the knowledge that they are helping to make a positive difference in peoples’ lives.
In addition to this, we offer training and development opportunities, flexible methods of engagement and high levels of involvement with the organisation. Trustees will also be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses.
How to apply
Please apply via the Reach Volunteering site.