|Contact Name:||Ben Macdonald|
|Job Published:||June 03, 2019 10:43|
Leadership, Governance, Strategy and Oversight:
- Supporting the development and implementation of SafeLives’ strategy in line with the charity’s mission.
- Reviewing the charity’s performance against its strategic objectives.
- Approving the annual budget, operating plan, audit and material business decisions.
- Being informed and ensuring that the charity meets all legal and regulatory requirements and responsibilities including taking professional advice where necessary.
- Contributing to the annual performance review of the CEO and Senior Leadership Team.
- Assisting the Board Chair and CEO in finding other Board members.
- Serving on committees, commensurate with time each board member is able to commit.
- Representing SafeLives to stakeholders and acting as an ambassador for the organisation.
- Ensuring SafeLives’ commitment to a diverse Board and staff that reflects all UK communities.
- Supporting SafeLives' fundraising efforts and wider income generation activities.
Trustee person specification
- Committed to SafeLives’ aims and approach to addressing domestic abuse and wider safeguarding issues.
- Strong professional networks at a senior level based on current or recently-held position.
- A strong understanding of diversity issues.
- Significant governance experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience of developing and implementing strategy and partnership work.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Personal qualities of integrity and a commitment to improving the lives of everyone impacted by domestic abuse.
- Readiness to develop a strong understanding of domestic abuse and closely linked issues
Trustees are sought with experience in the following areas:
- Safeguarding, in which you will have had direct responsibility, beyond oversight in one or more professional roles.
- Local government perspective from where you will have been involved in commissioning, funding and/or service delivery.
- Practitioner expertise, specifically issues closely linked to domestic abuse such as mental health, other forms of abuse/exploitation and/or substance misuse.
- Funder CEO with expertise and networks in fundraising and income generation experience.
- Senior leadership in healthcare, particularly mental health.
Terms of appointment
Trustees are appointed for a three year term that may be renewed once. There is a full induction programme for new Trustees and the chance to observe different activities of SafeLives.
These positions are unremunerated, but reasonable expenses are eligible for reimbursement.
The time commitment for Trustees will be approximately one day per month. More may
be required in the early stages, depending on the successful candidates’ knowledge and understanding of the organisation and its work.
Trustee Board Meetings 2019
- The Board meets four times a year (three meetings in London and one in Bristol) and Trustees are expected to commit an average of a further four days a year for additional sub-committee meetings and participation in internal and external events.
- Members of the Finance Committee meet four times a year.
- The Remuneration Committee meets annually and the Nominations Committee as needed. Not all Board members will need to be on these sub committees.
- Trustees will be energetic ambassadors for the organisation and can take up and create opportunities to get involved in our conferences, fundraising and wider work.
SafeLives is committed to providing equal opportunities for all, irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, sex, religion, sexuality, transgender status and working patterns. We are keen to have a Board that appropriately represents all the communities we serve as an organisation. As noted elsewhere in this pack, we see no ‘them and us’ in domestic abuse, and warmly welcome applicants who have direct or indirect experience of their own, whether disclosed or not.
How to apply
To apply in confidence to become a Trustee of SafeLives please apply by uploading a copy of your CV or an extended biography together with a short supporting statement and a list of any Directorships or Trusteeships that you currently hold. Please ensure
that your application fully addresses the requirements for the role.
You should give the names, positions, organisations and telephone contact numbers of two referees, relevant to this role.
References will only be taken once your express permission has been granted.
Please let us know if you will require any special provision as a result of any disability should you be called for interview.
Finally, please ensure that you have included mobile, work and home telephone numbers, as well as any dates when you will not be available or might have difficulty with the indicative timetable.
All applications should be sent to:
Published advert closing date:
Friday, 21 June 2019
19 July 2019 in London
Final Panel Interviews:
23 July 2019 in Bristol
If you have any questions on any aspect of the appointment process, need additional information or wish to have an informal discussion, please contact:
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's