24 days ago
About the organisation
Abbeyfield Gloucestershire provides high quality independent living for older people in Gloucestershire. We are proud of the care and support we provide for elderly people. In our 3 small homes residents live in a `family' environment where we encourage them to pursue hobbies and interests. Our network of `friends' also organise a wide range of activities and days out for residents.
Living with Abbeyfield is the perfect option for people who can't live on their own and who think that going into care is their only option. Sadly, many older people are fearful of going into care believing that this is where they will go to die. We are run by a small board of dedicated Trustees
About the role
Abbeyfield Gloucestershire is currently seeking new trustees to balance and strengthen its Board, to bring new experience and perspective, as well as to equip the Board with the skills and expertise it requires to make sound decisions and robust strategy. The Board of Trustees are jointly responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity. This includes its financial health, the probity of its activities and developing the organisation's aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, legal and regulatory guidelines.
We’re looking for people to join our Board of Trustees to help take Abbeyfield Gloucestershire forward. We are seeking skilled professionals to help us build upon the past 30 years of success, whilst being sufficiently flexible and responsive to meet the challenges that we will face in the future. This is a great opportunity for you to give a small amount of time, whilst knowing you are making a real difference to the lives of older people and helping to alleviate loneliness.
All trustees should be aware of and understand, their individual and collective responsibilities. They should not be overly reliant on one or more individual trustee in any aspect of the governance of the charity.
Candidates with a background in governance, fundraising, legal, HR or business strategy are hugely valuable.
- Experience of operating on a board or committee in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation.
- Strategic and forward looking vision in relation to Abbeyfield Gloucestershire’s aims and objectives.
- Strong independent judgement and leadership and the ability to think creatively in the context of the organisation and the external environment.
- A proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision making.
- A history of impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
- A track record of commitment to promoting equality and diversity.
- Demonstrate experience of working effectively as a member of a team.
Knowledge, skills and understanding:
- Commitment to the organisation and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Be prepared to make unpopular recommendations to the Board and willing to speak their mind.
- Good, independent judgement and strategic vision.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- An understanding of the respective roles of Chairman and Trustees and the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
Board meetings are held in the meeting room at the Cheltenham Chamber of Commerce every 6 weeks. Overall time commitment: 8-16 hours per month.
How to apply
Applications must be made via TrusteeWorks in the first instance. Please submit a CV and covering letter explaining your interest in our organisation as well as your suitability for the role. For an informal and confidential discussion about the role or to request a discussion with Abbeyfield directly, please contact the TrusteeWorks Team.