Trustee with legal expertise
|Job Title:||Trustee with legal expertise|
|Salary:||£0.00 - Voluntary|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||October 12, 2018 16:27|
About the organisation
At Unseen we are working towards a world without slavery. It’s a big aim and a big task, but we believe we can do it. We hope that one day our work is no longer needed. That by working in partnership with communities, business, governments and other organisations we can stamp out slavery for good. But while there are victims of trafficking, we want to be here to offer them the safety, hope and choice they deserve.
Trustee with legal expertise
About the role
Unseen’s work touches upon a broad range of legal disciplines, for example: company law, charity law, immigration law, employment law, criminal law and the Modern Slavery Act. As such the charity either employs experts or professional legal advisors to contribute where appropriate. In contrast the legal trustee the charity wishes to recruit is an experienced lawyer who will bring their general legal wisdom and common sense to the board.
- To work collaboratively with the other trustees and Senior Leadership Team, keeping with and furthering Unseen’s charitable objectives.
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees’ role in giving strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- With other trustees, to ensure that the policy and practices of the organisation are in keeping with its aims.
- With other trustees, to ensure that the organisation functions within the legal and financial requirements of a charitable organisation that strives to achieve best practice.
- Supporting the charity to ensure that it complies with its governing documents, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Contributing actively to the board of trustees, providing guidance on legal compliance and any impending legislative changes.
- Supporting the board with guidance on any data protection requirements and other legal risks and challenges associated with the organisation’s activities.
- A substantial Legal career from either the private or public sector and displaying good legal common sense. Experience of the charity sector is not essential, and neither is professional experience with the Modern Slavery Act or criminal law
- An understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Understanding of data protection legislation and changing regulations.
- Substantial experience in a leadership role.
- A firm belief in and active commitment to Unseen’s mission to work towards a world without slavery.
- Commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
What’s in it for the Volunteer?
You will be joining a team of established professionals who are highly committed to using their expertise to further this worthwhile cause. You will be part of a well funded organisation which has proven itself to be highly effective to date and which has ambitious plans for the future.
Three Board meetings a year - held on a Saturday.
Willingess to sit on a sub-committee and take part in occasional conference calls.
Board meetings generally held in Bath.
Charity head office is in Bristol.
103, First Floor, Deben House
1-5, Lawrence Hill
How to apply
Applications should be made via Reach in the first instance. To apply please submit your CV.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's