Trustee (with financial expertise) - British Society for Rheumatology
|Job Title:||Trustee (with financial expertise) - British Society for Rheumatology|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Ian Joseph|
|Job Published:||February 02, 2021 12:17|
The British Society for Rheumatology (BSR) is the UK’s leading specialist medical society for rheumatology and musculoskeletal professionals. They support their members throughout their careers, allowing them to progress, collaborate and innovate so they can deliver the best care for their patients, improving the lives of children and adults with rheumatic and musculoskeletal disease.
Purpose of a BSR Trustee
Members of the Board of Trustees make up the governing body of the society and are responsible for setting the strategic direction of BSR’s work. Trustees are responsible for ensuring BSR remains true to its charitable purpose and objects set out in its governing documents and for meeting BSR’s legal and financial duties as a registered charity. BSR is also a registered company limited by guarantee and therefore all Trustees automatically become company directors registered at Companies House.
Main responsibilities of the Lay Trustee with financial expertise:
The lay trustee will be responsible for supporting the Treasurer in reviewing and overseeing the financial management of BSR. The postholder will consider BSR’s financial strategy and support the Treasurer to make recommendations to the Board. He/she will monitor financial performance and agree action plans where remedial steps are necessary.
- To review the financial strategy and make recommendations to the Board as applicable
- Support the oversight of all financial aspects of charity operations to ensure both short and long-term viability
- As a member of the Board, review expenditure of a significant nature on new initiatives
- Review longer-term forecasts income and expenditure and oversee the form of presentation of financial information
- Advise on appropriate reserve levels to the Board for approval
- Advise on banking arrangements for BSR
- Advise the Board with respect to the remuneration of senior management staff
- Actively contribute to the charity’s investment policy, including the charity’s stance on ethical investments
- To agree the charity’s attitude to financial risk strategy
- To support the oversight of the performance of the charity’s investments, ensuring that funds are invested effectively
You should be able to demonstrate and provide evidence of the criteria listed above within your written application. This will be tested further at the interview stage.
- Experience of financial strategy and effective oversight of finances
- Understanding (although not necessarily experience of) and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship and an understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and Chief Executive and staff
- Experience of organisational performance management
- Sound, independent judgement and the ability to think creatively
- Strong intellectual and analytical ability
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the values of accountability, probity and openness
- An understanding of professional membership organisations. This could include membership of such an organisation
- Ability to process detail and get to the heart of an issue
- Confident and effective communication skills with a range of audiences
- A willingness to undertake training as might be required, and a willingness to devote the time and effort required to effectively discharge the duties of this role.
Inclusion and diversity statement
BSR is committed to encouraging inclusion, equality and diversity across our governing bodies and workforce, and eliminating unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation by complying with the Equality Act 2010.
We want a working environment free of all of the above, where individual differences and the contributions of all committee members and staff are recognised and valued. To do this, we will proactively tackle discrimination and disadvantage and ensure that no individual or group is directly or indirectly discriminated against for any reason.
We expect all Trustees, Committee Members and BSR employees to champion and live our values through their work at every opportunity.
Our values are:
Leadership - we drive excellence in rheumatology care
Collaboration - we listen, we learn, we improve
Openness - we are inclusive and accessible
Celebratory - we support and celebrate success
How to Apply
Deadline for applications: Close of business on Sunday 28th February 2021
Preliminary interviews with Trustees Unlimited: Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th 1March 2021
Interviews with Nominations Committee: 25th March (TBC)
Attend first board meeting: 2pm 7th April as observer
Formal offer: Mon 19th April