9 days ago
About Burrswood Health and Wellbeing
Reach Volunteering are working with Burrswood Health and Wellbeing, a place of whole person care located in a beautiful nineteenth century Decimus Burton designed house & gardens. Burrswood means many different things to many different people. Its ethos of ‘whole person care’ is its common thread, weaved throughout its Healthcare, Social Care and Spiritual Wellbeing services.
About the role
This appointed Trustee will join the Board’s Finance and Audit Committee. They will bring their business acumen as well as their experience within finance and property to strengthen the Board in their decision making. Property remains the biggest asset of Burrswood with 77 acres of beautiful land to be managed and maintained along with various specialist facilities and non-restricted income via guest stays, assisted stays, a cafe, book & gift shop, charity shop, swimming lessons and other services.
Guiding the board on key strategic decisions regarding the effective running of the organisation is central to this role and will add significant value to the board’s decision making.
This presents an exciting opportunity to become part of a well-established organisation that offers a unique, whole person approach to their clients, meeting people at their point of need. It’s a wonderful time to join as we continue to grow and develop by extending our outreach. Burrswood is located in a beautiful part of the country in stunning grounds.
- To assist the strategic development of a growing organisation and provide financial oversight.
- Oversee the charity’s financial risk-management process.
- Ensure that the organsiation’s finances are responsibly managed/invested for the betterment of the organisation’s work and for the beneficiaries it serves.
- Lead the Board’s duty to ensure proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are controlled, invested and economically spent in line with governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Advising on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plans and overseeing the charity’s financial risk-management process.
- Assist in the development and implementation of financial reserves, cost management and investment policies.
- In addition to your financial responsibilities, you will also contribute your experience of property management to the board.
- A personal commitment to the Christian Faith.
- Business acumen with the confidence and experience to ask meaningful, constructive and challenging questions about Burswood’s business activities and services.
- A strong track record of financial management (it is not necessary to be a qualified accountant).
- Proven organisational management experience at a senior level.
- Experience of setting targets, monitoring and evaluating performance and achieving results in the commercial, public and charity sectors.
- Ability to work at a strategic level, think creatively and criticise constructively.
- Ability to probe facts, challenge assumptions and identify the advantages and disadvantages of proposals.
- Good, independent judgement and a willingness to speak their mind.
- Ability to work as a member of team.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of charity trusteeship.
- Commitment to the aims of Burrswood and willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to Trusteeship.
- Experience of estate management / architecture.
- Four board meetings per year, (meetings typically run from 10am through to 2-3pm).
- Four subcommittee meetings per year.
- A development day once per year.
- It would be desirable for trustees to have the availability to attend other events and provide ad-hoc support as required.
How to Apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. Please provide your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to work for the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.