Trustee (with Education experience)
|Job Title:||Trustee (with Education experience)|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Dawn Ray|
|Job Published:||February 21, 2019 12:36|
The Board of Trustees are responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of SATRO, developing the organisations aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Determine Mission and Strategy – support setting SATRO’s direction and determining how it will get there.
- Accountability – being held to account for the actions of SATRO and holding those who carry out the work to account. Ensuring that SATRO and its representatives’ function within the legal and Regulatory framework of the sector and in line with the organisations’ governing document, continually striving for best practice in governance.
- Safeguard assets – acting as custodian of the assets, tangible (money, etc) and intangible (organisation’s reputation and name), ensuring that assets are used appropriately and constitutionally. Ensuring that there are sufficient assets for the organisation’s survival. Upholding the fiduciary duty to maintain sound financial management of SATRO’s resources, undertaking such duties in a way continually striving for best practice in governance that adds to public confidence and trust in the charity.
- Promoting and developing SATRO in order for it to grow and maintain its relevance to society.
- Act as ‘boundary-spanner’ – linking SATRO to its stakeholders, such as funding recipients, the community, funders etc. Acting in the best interest of the charity, beneficiaries and future beneficiaries at all times.
- To be a pool of expertise and advice to the CEO and staff in overseeing the implementation of the business plan.
- Ensure good functioning of the Board – ensuring Board renewal (recruitment, induction and retirement), effective decision making and information sharing processes, positive group dynamics, and reflection, learning and development for the committee as necessary.
- Carried out by attending regular Board meetings (quarterly, and extra-ordinary meetings if required), carrying out visits to events and programmes (if required as part of the role), and meeting with the CEO and staff (if required as part of the role).
- Provide oversight of current Education policy and practices to help guide content and strategy of the charity's service provision.
- Have a commitment to SATRO and its aims.
- Have a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Possess good judgement and independence of mind.
- Show a willingness to work collectively as part of a group.
- Seek constructive debate and dialogue over confrontation.
Specific Skills Requirements:
- Educational landscape: policy and practice
- Senior teaching experience or educational leadership experience (mainstream primary or secondary)
- Familiarity with current curriculum (mainstream primary or secondary)
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths – experience desired but not essential
- Required attendance at quarterly Board meeting (2.5 hrs); attendance at one of the monthly Finance Committee Meeting (2 hours); Annual AGM
- Plus occasional desired attendance at SATRO events to represent the charity (not compulsory)
Much of the role can be home based, with the exception of Board and Finance Committee meetings. Occasional attendance at off site events.
Based in Guildford, Surrey, SATRO is an educational charity working across the South East inspiring and engaging young people in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM), both in terms of subject choices and the career paths they lead onto. We bring together schools, employers and their staff (as volunteers), on a one to one basis, at classroom or school level and to participate in regional challenges and large-scale events. SATRO works with around 8-10,000 young people a year, from ages 6 to 19, including SEN and students who are disengaged or at risk of becoming so. Our good reputation amongst all our stakeholders, is for not only the quality of our programmes, but for the measurable outcomes that demonstrate the positive impact on young people and for the range of opportunities we provide organisations to realise their CSR potential.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position please contact Dawn Ray, SATRO CEO, email@example.com, enclosing a copy of your current CV