Trustee Treasurer with The Othona Community
|Job Title:||Trustee Treasurer with The Othona Community|
|Salary:||Unpaid voluntary role|
|Contact Name:||Rachel Ord|
|Job Published:||December 16, 2020 11:54|
Othona provides experiences of community, based on Christian values, open to people of all faiths and none. We are recruiting a Trustee Treasurer to join our board. Help us to manage our investments, prioritise spending and set budgets for our two retreat centres on the quiet coasts of Dorset and Essex. We aim to live simply, sustainably and spiritually.
Overall Purpose of the Treasurer Role
- Support Othona with the strategic financial planning of the organisation
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are conducted within legal requirements, accounting conventions and good practice
- Ensure the ongoing financial viability of the organisation
- Ensure the Board fulfils its financial responsibilities
- Keep board members informed about the organisation’s finances by compiling budget position sheets accompanied by a full verbal explanation, at quarterly board meetings
- Maintain a clear picture of the financial health of the organisation and ensure that proper systems for budgeting and financial control are in place
- Provide a financial report to Othona members at the AGM
- Manage the relationship with our Accountants to ensure compliance with the SLA
- Manage Othona’s community wide cash flow.
- Monitor the investment portfolio and produce quarterly performance report to the Trustees
- Liaise with Insurance Brokers to ensure appropriate insurance cover is maintained at both sites with costs being allocated to the correct centres.
- Work closely with the centre manager and centre bookkeeper to ensure compliance with accounting procedures and advise on spending authorisation.
- Oversee the tendering process for capital expenditure.
- Visit centres and personnel as required. The expenses of essential travel and accommodation are met by the charity
What are we looking for?
- Strategic financial planning skills, which ideally will include investment and business financing experience.
- A good understanding of financial accounting and reporting procedures.
- Excellent communication skills able to communicate clearly; internally with Trustees and all levels of personnel, externally with Accountants, Insurance Brokers and Investment Brokers.
- Accountancy, financial management, business development, business advice / analysis skills would be desirable
his position would suit an experienced Accountant who would like to put their skills to good use in the charity sector. Our strategic focus is making real progress to being carbon neutral and handing forward to the next generation. We are poised for a strong recovery once Covid restrictions allow.
What difference will you make?
Our properties are worth around 3 million, our investments stand at £600K and the income from the centres is around £300K pa. We need someone with an accountancy/finance background to advise the board on strategic financial planning, to assist the centre management teams in setting their income targets and budgets, to work with our Accountancy firm and auditors and to work with our investment broker. Book keepers are employed at both centres.
What's in it for the volunteer?
The Centres offer the experience of inclusive community, spirituality, and practical creativity providing retreats, workshops, family holidays and a range of other events. We seek to be simple, sustainable and spiritual, caring for one another and the planet. Join our committed Trustee team as we seek to be the change we want to see.
A few more details
All Trustees after appointment need to undergo a basic DBS check, sign to say that they have not been barred from being a Trustee or Company Director and to declare any interests on our register of interests.
We will appoint following an interview in time for you to be part of the budget sign off for FY 21/22 and to take on the role from 1st April. Our current treasurer will actively handover the accounts and be available for advice and support until our AGM September 2021. The treasurer will take responsibility for the audit and submission of the accounts FY 20/21. The deadline for application is 26 February 2021, interviews will be held in the first 2 weeks of March for appointment by the end of March.