about 1 month ago
Voluntary Service Lewisham
Voluntary Services Lewisham (VSL) is seeking a new trustee, to join their board, who has a passion for mental health services, accessible transport, volunteering and enhancing the lives of vulnerable people. For over 50 years, VSL has been pioneering services that enable people with mental health problems and complex needs to live their lives to the full. We deliver a wide range of volunteer led projects that reduce isolation, promote inclusion and improve the wellbeing of our service users. We have grown significantly in the last five years and now support in excess of 4300 Service Users through the Mental Health Drop Ins project, and 800 Service Users through the Phone Befriending and group Befriending project.
VSL is looking for an Accountant/Trustee with Financial Experience for Mental Health Charity or someone with significant financial experience to join their board of Trustees. They will contribute to, and ensure the effective delivery of the emerging strategy. A genuine interest and commitment to the organisation's Mission, Values and Strategic Goals is essential as well as knowledge or a willingness to develop an understanding of compliance, risk management and control of processes.
As a growing charity with energy and ambition, we need Trustees who are able to invest a suitable amount of time, on a flexible basis, each month. As a guide to the kind of time commitment required, the Trustees could be investing around 3 hours a month to VSL (in addition to the formal Trustee and Subcommittee meetings, which take place bi-monthly).
Now, more than ever, our services are a lifeline for those who experience low or poor mental health, social isolation, poverty and associated disadvantages. At VSL, we are driven to be at the forefront of that provision, constantly improving, innovating and supporting as many VSL are committed to diversity and inclusion and believe that our differences are what make us stronger. We welcome applications from anyone regardless of their age, disability, ethnicity, heritage, sexuality, gender and socio-economic background.
- Work with the CEO and finance staff to ensure the financial affairs of the organisation are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Work with the CEO and finance staff to ensure the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- Liaise with relevant staff, committee members and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place.
- Supporting the Charity’s development of financial plans and budgets
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner.
- Knowledge and experience of current fundraising and finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
- Excellent financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Passion for and commitment to the work of VSL, and alignment with our values and ethics