|Job Title:||Trustee Treasurer|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||John Lowes|
|Job Published:||October 08, 2018 11:34|
BACKGROUND INFORMATION, ROLE DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
At NewLink Wales, we are recruiting for the successor of our current Treasurer who will be standing down in October 2019. We aim to commence the appointment of the new Treasurer in January 2019 as this will give opportunity for the current Treasurer to support the implementation of the new role. We are looking for an inspiring, progressive and committed individual to join our Board of Trustees in a leadership role for our charity.
About NewLink Wales
NewLink Wales helps people who are affected by harmful behaviours that have a strong negative influence on health, such as substance misuse.
We achieve our aims by:
• Providing advice, support, services and opportunities to persons who are in need in order to encourage positive behavioural and life changes.
• Promoting and facilitating volunteering and mentoring opportunities for members of the public and especially persons in recovery from detrimental health risk behaviours.
• Advancing the education of the public on the causes of detrimental health risk behaviours and their effects on public health.
We have been established for 17 years with an annual income of around £700.000 and are currently 13% self-funded. We are based in Cardiff and Bridgend and employ around 30 staff.
Please see Website Link for further info. https://www.newlinkwales.org.uk/
NewLink Wales’ Governance
NewLink Wales is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. NewLink Wales Trustees are registered as directors at Companies House. NewLink Wales is governed by a Board of Trustees (between 5 and 12 in number), including a Chair, Vice Chair and Treasurer.
Trustees are appointed by the Board and serve for an initial three years and can be re-appointed for two further terms of three years.
Currently, there are two committees serving the board, the Finance and Risk Committee (FRC) and the HR Committee (HRC).
In addition to the general duties of a trustee, the treasurer has particular responsibilities to maintain an overview of NewLink Wales financial activity, ensuring they remain sustainable and that we use our resources to achieve our charitable aims. The Treasurer will also assist the Chair of Trustees, other honorary officers and the CEO in ensuring that the Board of Trustees fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of the charity.
Duties as a Trustee:
• Ensure that NewLink Wales complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
• Ensure that NewLink Wales pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
• Ensure NewLink Wales applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects and does not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be
• Contribute actively to the board of Trustees by giving firm strategic direction to NewLink Wales, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets
• Safeguard the good name and values of NewLink Wales
• Ensure the financial stability of NewLink Wales
Specific responsibilities of the treasurer:
• Guide and advise the Board in the approval of budgets, accounts and financial statements, within a relevant financial policy framework.
• Confirm that the financial resources of the Charity meet its present and future needs and that there are appropriate reserves and investment policies.
• Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
• Liaising, where applicable, with staff and volunteers about financial matters
• Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
• Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate investment policy, and that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims, objects and values of the charity
• Understand the accounting procedures and key internal controls to be able to assure the Board that the Charity’s financial integrity is sound.
• Ensuring the accounts are prepared in accordance with financial best practice and meet the requirements of the regulators, funders and the relevant statutory bodies
• Ensuring the accounts are audited and any recommendations of the auditors are implemented appropriately
• Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
This is a voluntary role and Trustees receive no remuneration. Reasonable expenses can be claimed, in line with NewLink Wales expenses policy, for attendance at board and other meetings and events necessary for the fulfilment of the treasurer’s duties.
Minimum time commitment
The Treasurer is expected to attend all four trustees board meetings each year. These will be held at our Cardiff premises and mainly during office hours. A further, longer board meeting includes the Board’s annual strategic planning away day. The Treasurer is currently Chair of the Finance, and Risk Committee which routinely is held on a quarterly basis. Meetings mainly occur during normal office hours. Additional time will be required for reading papers and meetings as required with the CEO. We estimate that the time commitment required will be at least one day per month.
The Treasurer must have:
• relevant financial management experience
• a commitment to the mission of NewLink Wales
• a willingness to meet the minimum time requirement
• an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
• an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of NewLink Wales
How to Apply
To apply, please email your CV and a brief covering letter describing your suitability for the role and any potential conflicts of interest to Lisa Brydon email@example.com
Closing date is midday Monday 29th October. Interview panel will consist of the Chair, Treasurer, other Trustee and CEO. Applicants may be asked to prepare a presentation to a small group of staff and Trustees. Interview will take place on Monday 5th November. Please let us know in the covering letter if you are unable to make this date.
In the meantime, if you would like to speak to somebody about the role in more detail please get in touch with our CEO, John Lowes at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's