|Job Title:||Trustee- Treasurer|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Fizza Qureshi|
|Job Published:||February 23, 2020 21:07|
Migrants’ Rights Network is a UK-based NGO that works alongside migrants in their fight for rights and justice.
What will you be doing?
In addition to the general responsibilities of a trustee, duties of the treasurer include the following:
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts & financial statements
- Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present & future needs
- Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
- Preparing & presenting financial reports to the board
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures & controls are in place
- Liaising with any paid staff and volunteers about financial matters
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
- Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate investment policy
- Ensuring that there is no conflict between any investment held & the aims and objects of the charity
- Monitoring the organisation’s investment activity & ensuring it is consistent with the organisation’s policies and legal responsibilities
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared & disclosed in the form required by funders & the relevant statutory bodies -the Charity Commission & the Registrar of Companies
- If external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required ( in MRN’s case independent examination) & any recommendations are implemented
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting & drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
What are we looking for?
In addition to the person specification for a trustee, the treasurer should have the following qualities.
- Financial qualifications and experience
- Some experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
- Being prepared to make unpopular recommendations to the board
- A willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
We particularly welcome and encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic individuals, and those who are migrants or refugees, and who have lived experience of the impact of immigration policy and practice.