Revd Eric Clark
about 1 month ago
London Diocesan Fund
We are St Matthew’s Church, in the heart of Bethnal Green. We’re a small and welcoming church and we have some big and exciting ideas. We want to play a much greater role in our communities, bringing people together and using our space to build bridges. We provide a place for people who want a moment of peace from the hectic Brick Lane and Spitalfields. And we provide a space to pray and think about God.
We need volunteers to help us run the Church. We need trustees (PCC members) and we need a treasurer.
We’re looking for people who can spare a few hours a month helping St Matthew’s Church run. That might be helping us keep the books balanced, helping us plan our new Foodbank, develop a fundraising strategy for our work with young people and children, or help us improve how we worship. We are especially looking for a treasurer and some PCC members but if you don’t want a formal role, and just want to get involved, we’d love to hear from you too.
A belief in God definitely helps. If you join our PCC you’ll be on our electoral roll and that means you plan to regularly attend mass at St Matthew’s. We meet at 10:30am on Sundays. But we know people come to church for lots of reasons, so where ever you are on your faith journey, you’re welcome in our church. You don’t even have to have been before to get involved.
We are looking for trustees (PCC members). They will need to be able to:
• Contribute to meetings and support the Rector of St Matthew’s to make decisions that are in the best interest of the church; share their perspectives to help us make decisions that are in the best interests of all our communities; work well with others and show a generosity to others to make sure everybody can contribute to the meetings; be interested in what is happening at the Church and how we can improve.
You don’t need to have any experience of being in a role like this, and we can help you if you need any training. An enthusiasm and commitment to helping the Church grow is the most important thing.
We’re also looking for a treasurer. Our finances are in a good place but we need a more expert eye to help us plan for the future. A treasurer should be really confident managing budgets. We’d love it if you’ve managed budgets for other organisations or charities or businesses. The treasurer will need to be able to:
• Understand, interpret and explain our financial position.
• Understand how our finances fit with the wider Church of England community.
• Make recommendations about how we might improve our systems and governance processes so we can make better use of our resources.
• Set a budget for the year ahead and wider financial projections.
• Keep a watching brief on forecasts and expenditure.
• Report back to the quarterly PCC meeting.