|Contact Name:||Sonja Freebody|
|Job Published:||July 03, 2020 14:55|
Headway Surrey - Help us ‘Dare to Dream’
Headway Surrey is a charity located in Guildford (with annual income of c.£200,000) which provides cognitive rehabilitation, support and services for those affected by brain injury. We have a highly engaged Board of trustees with a great range of experience and we are now looking to recruit a new Treasurer/Trustee who can help us to plan for the future to ensure that people living with acquired brain injury (ABI) in Surrey have access to our expertise and services.
The organization has responded swiftly to the challenges of the Covid19 situation and our clients have been supported via one-to-one calls and lots of rehab and social activities via Zoom. We are now planning how we can return to face-to-face support as well as how we can continue with some aspects of virtual support that have enabled us to reach more clients over a wider geographic area.
The Trustee role is a voluntary position and we are particularly interested in hearing from individual that can help us ensure that our Board is as diverse as the local communities and clients that we serve.
We require that Trustees attend nine short early evening meetings per year at Headway House in Guildford (held via Zoom at present). In addition, there are monthly Finance Committees lasting approx. 1 hour and other opportunities to visit events for clients or participate in fundraising events when these are happening again. Trustees are provided with a comprehensive induction and support programme.
If you would like to help make a difference to the lives of adults living with brain injuries in Surrey, we would love to hear from you. You can find out more about us on www.headwaysurrey.org
Treasurers Role Description
Charity governance is a balanced relationship between the employed staff; the Chief Executive, the Finance & Admin Manager (FAM), and the volunteers on the Board of Trustees (BOT). This team is responsible for directing the affairs of a charity, ensuring that it is solvent, well-run, and delivering the intended charitable benefits. A key role is that of the Honorary Treasurer as an ‘office-holder’ among the charity trustees. While financial matters are the responsibility of all trustees, it is often the Treasurer that the other trustees look to on all aspects of the Charity’s financial management and reporting.
Main purpose of role
- To work with that the FAM and Auditors to ensure that the financial affairs, reports, and statutory submissions of the charity comply with the law, the charity’s constitution and accepted accounting practice.
- To ensure appropriate mechanisms are in place to ensure proper records are kept and robust financial control procedures are followed.
- To monitor and report to the BOT on the overall financial health of the charity.
- To work with the Chair and CEO to oversee the charity’s risk management process, budget preparation, and the provision of guidance to the BOT on broader financial governance matters.
- Knowledge and experience of current finance practice relevant to voluntary organisations and charitable trusts (support is obtained through Headway Surrey’s membership of NCVO)
- Sound knowledge of financial management and internal controls in smaller organisations
- Strong analytical and communication skills
Please contact CEO, Sonja Freebody email@example.com
Send your CV and a covering letter as to why you would like to be considered