17 days ago
Purple Field Productions
PURPLE FIELD PRODUCTIONS
INFORMATION RE VOLUNTARY POSITION OF TRUSTEE/TREASURER
Purple Field Productions (PFP) is a UK registered charity working together with people in Africa and Asia in order to make and distribute educational films in local languages. We produce everything from short documentaries to full-length features, and our work can cover a wide range of subjects including health, welfare, community development, agriculture and the environment. Our purpose is not only to provide information and increase understanding and awareness on crucial issues, but also to give people a voice – both through our own productions and by providing training in filmmaking techniques to marginalised and under-privileged groups. For full details of our projects and method of working, please go to - www.purplefieldproductions.org
WHY THIS POST IS NEEDED
PFP is a small charity, currently governed by nine trustees, and with an annual income in the region of £25,000- £30,000. Our current Treasurer is retiring at our AGM in December and therefore we are seeking a replacement.
This post presents a worthwhile and exciting opportunity to direct an innovative organisation through a period of change and development. We are looking for a strategic minded individual who values the volunteer experience and is really concerned to address poverty and lack of information in the developing world.
In addition to holding specific responsibility for finance, the Treasurer will be a member of the Board of Trustees. The Trustees are jointly and severally responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, its financial health, the probity of its activities, and the development of the organisation’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, and the legal and regulatory guidelines.
The Treasurer will oversee the financial matters of the charity in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements, and will report to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals about the financial position of the organisation.
- Ensure that effective financial measures, controls and procedures are in place and maintained.
- Provide appropriate financial governance for the charity.
- Take responsibility for advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans.
- Assure that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs and are within the charity’s objectives.
- Provide advice and oversight to ensure that the Charity operates within the law and complies with the requirements of charity and company status.
- Contribute to the fundraising strategy of the organisation.
Prepare monthly management accounts, annual accounts and budgets, and make formal presentation of these and other financial reports when required.Note that we currently use Xero software.
- Be available to undertake online banking as and when required including foreign payments some of which may be required to complete over the phone.
- Manage the payroll for one part-time employee. We currently use HMRC’s Basic PAYE tools software.
- Provide financial information to the Trustee responsible for making submissions to Trusts/Grant awarding organisations on an ad hoc basis
- Provide information to the Company Secretary to enable statutory returns to be made to Companies House and Charities Commission
- Undertake the bookkeeping. However, this is an optional aspect of the role that could be separated and done by somebody other than the Treasurer if necessary. It should not deter interested persons from applying.
Anticipated Commitment Required - Board Meetings are held five times a year (including the AGM). In addition there are approximately four management meetings plus ad hoc strategy days etc. Trustees are also asked to take part in discussions via email and study papers etc. If you allow approximately 10 hours a month on average, in addition to time allowed for attendance at the Board Meetings (and 2-3 hours per month bookkeeping if undertaking this responsibility) this should be sufficient in order to carry out your trustee/director responsibilities. At times there may be opportunities for further involvement in voluntary work on behalf of the Charity but this would be entirely optional.
The Charity office is located in Ilminster, Somerset, and for the foreseeable future all Board Meetings will be held in this vicinity. We seek a Treasurer who lives with easy commute if possible, although alternative arrangements will be considered for the right candidate.
The Existing Trustees are – Roland Chant, Brian Harper, Rob Rainbow, Kevin Waldie, Chris Deary, Rick Elgood, Rosemary Evans (retiring), Diane Makepeace (retiring) and Elspeth Waldie (Chair).
At the present time, PFP only has only one permanent part-time paid employee. All other operational tasks are undertaken by volunteers or free-lance film professionals working on short-term contracts.