8 days ago
Northern School of Contemporary Dance is seeking to appoint two new dedicated, self-motivated and talented trustees. We are particularly looking for trustees with experience and an understanding of finance as we have vacancies on our Audit and Finance and Resources Committees.
Northern School of Contemporary Dance (NSCD) is a small, ambitious specialist institution based in Leeds, internationally recognised as a centre of excellence for dance education and with a growing reputation as a centre for dance development. NSCD provides inspirational learning, enabling aspiring dance artists and dance professionals, regardless of background, to shape the future of dance. The School’s offer spans community outreach and prevocational access, further and higher education provision, a postgraduate touring company, professional apprenticeship placements and a theatre performance programme, supported by the Arts Council of England.
NSCD is a place of imagination and innovation with dance and education at its heart, a crucible of creativity where artists of all backgrounds meet and engage in creation.
The School is adapting and developing to meet the challenges of the rapidly shifting political and economic context. The Board of Governors have approved an ambitious strategic plan which includes:
- Expansion of the School’s course portfolio in addressing access, internationalisation and progression.
- Furthering our research agenda and scholarly activity in dance.
- Creating resilience and sustainability through artistic investment, supporting leadership development, partnership visibility and reputation building.
- Diversifying our income streams and, where appropriate, commercialising activities.
- Ensuring that resources are developed and utilised to best support core aims.
Key development areas for the School include exploring and developing potential areas of growth; exploring opportunities to expand/upgrade existing facilities; strengthening brand recognition and visibility; building partnerships and developing projects and events that promote excellence and innovation; ensuring financial stability, including identifying and accessing alternative sources of funding.
The School is seeking to appoint trustees with the energy, skills, expertise and connections to support the achievement of its new strategic objectives and who:
- Are sympathetic and excited to contribute to realising and evolving the School’s vision and strategy.
- Value the transforming power of an arts education, ideally with a special interest in dance.
- Are willing to commit time and energy – not just to preparing for and attending meetings, but to inspiring, challenging and supporting the leadership team, attending some performances and acting as an ambassador for the School in contributing to our future development and sustainability.
- Are innovative and creative thinkers able to stimulate and contribute to well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making.
- Have the highest aspirations for the School and strive for excellence at all times.
- Are dedicated, committed and self-motivated.
The School is particularly looking for individuals who can offer:
- Experience of working at executive leadership level
- Experience of the development of facilities and estates at a strategic level.
- Connectivity to and influence with the Leeds business community.
- National connection to the arts and dance in particular.
- Fundraising expertise at a strategic level, including developing corporate fundraising strategies and capacity.
- Expertise in corporate profile raising and communication to assist the School in raising its profile, reaching out to local, national and global markets and strengthening its brand recognition.
- Experience in legal and commercial contexts in particular relating to charitable or educational institutions
The School believes that diversity inspires creativity and enriches our lives and would therefore particularly welcome applications from individuals with a BAME background or those with a disability.
The posts are unremunerated but reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, in line with the school’s travel policy.