|Job Title:||Trustee/Board Fellow|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Charlie Cole|
|Job Published:||August 15, 2018 11:30|
Spark Inside – Become a Trustee or Board Fellow
Update: due to an overwhelming number of applications, we have introduced a closing date of 9th September!
- Spark Inside, an award-winning London charity, brings coaching into prisons to reduce violence and reoffending.
- Due to continued growth and demand for services, Spark Inside is seeking 2-3 committed leaders to join its Board of Trustees.
- We especially encourage applications from underrepresented groups and those with lived prison experience, as well as first-time Trustees. We will provide an induction and training, and are happy to speak to applicants informally before commencing the application process.
About Spark Inside
Spark Inside is a young, ambitious London-based charity pioneering coaching programmes in prisons to encourage rehabilitation and reduce both violence in prisons and reoffending, benefitting us all. Founded in 2012, Spark Inside is using a coaching approach to give people living and working in prison—young people nearing their release, and prison officers stuck in a violent regime—the tools to change their lives. Our programmes work: the reoffending rate among prisoners who have received coaching from Spark Inside is just 10%, compared with the national average of 45%.
To date, we have worked with over 600 prisoners and prison staff across ten prisons, young offender institutions and secure training centres. We have won multiple awards, including a Commendation for the Robin Corbett Award for Prisoner Re-integration, and the effectiveness of our programmes has been validated through rigorous independent evaluations.
Our bold vision is of a world without crime, and without prisons. To move towards that vision, Spark
Inside has successfully developed a diversified funding mix consisting of grants from Trusts and Foundations, commissioning revenue from providing our coaching programmes to prisons, and private philanthropy.
We are now in the exciting position of expanding our impact through licensing our programmes; raising awareness for our work and thought leadership; and continuing to innovate and delivery highquality services.
Our values are:
- Spark: We want to feel a strong sense of passion and ‘spark’ for everything we do. We commit to people, projects and partnerships that align with our values.
- Heart: We maintain an open mind and an open heart, and we always act with kindness and consideration.
- Stickability: When the going gets tough, we stick with our clients, our projects and our commitments. We channel our grit and resilience to make it through challenges and we don’t give up easily.
- Impact: Our impact on our clients is at the heart of every decision we make and it is how we judge our success, so we take evaluation seriously.
- Learning: We are humble, curious and constantly developing. We apply and share our learning to amplify our impact.
- Innovation: We celebrate creativity and design new ways of doing things, based on evaluation data and stakeholder feedback. We innovate to remain relevant to our clients’ needs.
About Spark Inside’s Board of Trustees
Chaired by Roma Hooper OBE, Spark Inside’s Board of Trustees is the top governance body for the charity, serving as stewards of its resources, and ultimately responsible for its strategy, operations and financial management. The Trustees serve on a voluntary basis, and meet quarterly in London as a group, in addition to subcommittee meetings, which take place in between Trustee meetings. The term of office is 3 years, renewable once.
The Trustees seek to work closely with the Chief Executive and Senior Management Team of Spark Inside to achieve its goals, and are responsible for providing support, guidance and decisions in the following areas:
- Governance, including ensuring Spark Inside complies with its governing documents, charity and Company law, and other relevant legislation or regulations
- Strategic thinking, including approving the business plan proposed by the Senior Management Team
- Financial oversight, including a formal review of the organisation’s annual budget and supporting the Senior Management Team in financial management and organisation
- Guidance and support, including giving advice to the Chief Executive and Senior Management team about the operations of the organisation in areas such as strategic choices, personnel management and legal requirements
- Networking, including using your personal and professional network to assist the Chief Executive and Senior Management team in gaining high level access to relevant individuals and institutions to support the operation and growth of the organisation
- Leadership selection, including appointing the Chief Executive and approving the appointments of the Senior Management Team
- Fundraising, including assisting the Chief Executive in gaining high level access to potential donors and supporters, and providing advice and assistance more generally on areas of fundraising
- Public Relations, including advice and assistance in raising and maintaining the profile of Spark Inside.
Benefits to Trustees include:
- Shaping the strategy of a young charity at an exciting, pivotal stage in its development
- Making a difference to society
- Learning about charity governance, coaching and the prison system
- Working at the highest level of our organisation
- Offering your skills and contributing a fresh perspective to the board
- Networking with other board members.
As our charity continues to grow, we are looking for new members to join our board of Trustees and help to take our positive, engaged culture to the next level. In all of our Trustees, we look for dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds, who share a passion for Spark Inside’s vision and mission, who have the time to commit to the organisation, and who are willing to help Spark Inside using their reputation and networks. Trustees must be aligned with our values and coaching ethos, and be able to work effectively as members of our governing team.
We prioritise having a culture of belonging and inclusion on our Board and value diversity in all senses. We encourage applications from underrepresented groups, including people with lived prison experience and who have worked in prison, and first-time Trustees.
After conducting a skills gap analysis, we are specifically looking for Trustees who can support us in at least one of the following ways:
- Chair of Programme Subcommittee: This person will be an experienced coach, knowledgeable about various coaching techniques (including but not limited to Systems and Life Coaching). S/he will be comfortable leading a subcommittee focusing on the design and delivery of Spark Inside’s programmes, supporting its Head of Programme Operations.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: This person will be confident with research in the social sector, approaching evaluation from a user-led design perspective. S/he will support us with identifying best practice in programme design, drawing from research in criminal justice and other sectors, and ensure that we are accountable to our participants by building on the rigor of our independent evaluations. S/he will sit on the Programme Subcommittee.
- Organisational Growth, Business Strategy, and Commercial Acumen: This person will be experienced in growing/scaling an organisation, supporting us with the development of our social licensing strategy. S/he will strongly support the business planning process, and advise us on our pricing models and commissioning strategy. S/he will sit on either the Finance and/or Programme Subcommittee.
We are also looking for two Board Fellows, who are under 30 years old at the time of application. These are one year, non-voting roles to encourage more young people to join Boards. Board Fellows are expected to participate fully in the work of the Board, and some have been invited to become Trustees following the conclusion of their Term.
If selected to join our Board of Trustees (as a Trustee or Fellow), you will be expected to attend in person:
- 4 x board meetings annually (held quarterly on a weekday evening);
- 4 x sub-committee meetings (Programme or Finance subcommittees)
- 1 x annual half-day Board away/development day
- 2 x social events (e.g., holiday party, summer celebration dinner)
You will also be expected to provide ad hoc support for the CEO and Senior Management Team through emails, phone calls, and occasional in-person meetings (e.g. with funders or important stakeholders).
The total time commitment for Trustees/Fellows is expected to be no more than 1 day per month. This is an unpaid, voluntary post. We can reimburse travel expenses on a needs basis. How to Apply
- After reviewing the Role Specification and Trustee Code of Conduct, please send an email outlining your interest in the position and related experience, along with a CV, to: Baillie Aaron, Founder & CEO, Spark Inside (email email@example.com). Please apply before 9th September.
Baillie is available to answer questions, offer tips on successful applications or to discuss the role or application process in more detail at 020 3468 0706 or 078 5322 0221.
- Our CEO, Board Chair or another Trustee/Board Fellow will be in touch to have an informal conversation about your interest in being involved as a Trustee or Board Fellow.
- If there is mutual agreement to move forwards based on a skills match, we will invite you to a formal interview with the Board Chair, CEO and another Trustee/Board Fellow.
- Successful applicants will be invited to observe two Board meetings and meet the other members before being formally invited to join the Board as a Trustee or Fellow. The next Board meetings are from 5:30pm-7:30pm on October 30th and January 22nd, taking place in central London.
- We will apply for waivers for Trustee applicants with unspent convictions for ‘relevant offences’; more information can be found here: https://infohub.typeform.com/to/x8pcFn.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and roles will be filled as and when we find the right person, so please express your interest early. Board Fellow positions commence in January 2019.
You can find out more about our work at www.sparkinside.org or on twitter @Spark_Inside.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's