SEED Madagascar Trustee/Director
|Job Title:||SEED Madagascar Trustee/Director|
|Contact Name:||Cody Moolman|
|Job Published:||December 25, 2018 13:35|
Location: from home with quarterly meetings in our Queens Park Office
Required time input: part-time, approximately 7 hours per month
Probationary period: at least 3 month of activity prior to appointment
SEED Madagascar is a British-registered charity working in the UK and Madagascar, partnered in-country with various NGOs and community groups. It works on community development, health, education and conservation projects on the ground in Madagascar with an emphasis on training, capacity-building and education, geared towards supporting communities to empower themselves and develop in sustainable ways. SEED is looking for a new Voluntary Trustee/ Company Director to join the existing board, who govern the medium-sized international charity.
The role will carry the usual responsibilities of a trustee as defined by the England and Wales Charity Commission http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/publications/cc3.aspx and we encourage all applicants to read through this prior to making application.
• To ensure that the charity and its representatives function within the legal and regulatory framework of the sector and in line with the organisations’ governing document, continually striving for best practice in governance.
• To uphold the fiduciary duty integral to the position, undertaking such duties while continually striving for best practice in governance, adding to public confidence and trust in the charity.
• To help determine the overall direction and development of the charity through good governance and clear strategic planning.
• Ensuring the charity complies with legislative and regulatory requirements, and acts within the confines of its governing document and in furtherance to organisational activities contained therein.
• Acting in the best interest of the charity, beneficiaries and future beneficiaries at all times.
• Promoting and developing the charity in order for it to grow and maintain its relevance.
• Maintaining sound financial management of the charity’s resources, ensuring expenditure is in line with the organisations’ objects, and investment activities meet accepted standards and policies.
• Interviewing, appointing and monitoring the work and activities of the senior paid staff.
• Acting as a counter-signatory on charity cheques and any applications for funds.
• To maintain absolute confidentiality about all sensitive/confidential information received in the course of trustee’s responsibilities to the charity.
As a Trustee board you are responsible and liable for the governance and functioning of the charity and are accountable in varying degrees to a variety of stakeholders, including: service users, members, funders, the Charity Commission, and Companies House.
Help regarding this is given by the CEO and Company Secretary so that the Trustees are aware of and follow the responsibilities of the office.
Required skills & Experience:
The successful applicant will:
• Have experience of working at the management level in the charity sector
• Demonstrate sound knowledge and keen interest in development and/or conservation issues facing least developed countries such as Madagascar; previous experience living or working in a developing country would be an asset
• Demonstrate sound knowledge and keen interest in at least one of SEED’s three core areas (community health; sustainable livelihoods; environmental conservation); previous experience of community-based work would be an asset
Anyone interested in applying for this position should send a detailed CV to the Trustees at SEED Madagascar by email.
To find out more we encourage you to look at our website particularly on the following links