Trustee of arts charity
|Job Title:||Trustee of arts charity|
|Contact Name:||Ferdinand Lovett|
|Job Published:||August 30, 2020 21:50|
Soumik Datta Arts is looking for a trustee with a financial / accounting background - can you help?
Who are Soumik Datta Arts?
Soumik Datta Arts (SDA) was established in 2013 to support the work of composer, presenter and Sarod-virtuoso Soumik Datta.
Over the years, the charity has proudly backed Soumik's varied and exciting artistic endeavours, which are often ground-breaking music and arts projects that bring communities together, address urgent social and environmental issues and promote exceptional talent from under-represented artist communities. SDA's output has a strong educational element and aims to provide inspiration for new generations through live performances, television, broadcast, digital media, workshops, master classes and online resources.
In December 2019, SDA won a significant grant from the Arts Council England's "Elevate" fund - see https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/funding-finder/elevate for more details of this initiative.
Why do we need a new trustee on the board?
SDA is a charity incorporated as a company limited by guarantee. There are currently eight members of its board of directors, who are the trustees of the organisation. They are a friendly bunch and come from a diverse range of backgrounds including music production, publishing, communication, education, law, dance and IT.
The board has decided that it needs to recruit a new trustee with a financial / accounting background so that SDA's skillset is strengthened in that area.
This has been become particularly important in the light of SDA's successful bid for Elevate funding and its amibitions to achieve Arts Council "National Portfolio Organisation" status in 2023. Our journey to this possible goal requires us to demonstrate a robust governance framework, an essential element of which is strong financial oversight of the charity's operations.
What would be expected of the new trustee?
The successful applicant would be expected to take on the role of trustee (which is unpaid) to help SDA realise its ambitions and be part of the exciting next chapter in our organisation's development.
In particular, the new trustee would be expected to -
- carry out their role in line with a charity trustee's core duties and responsibilities - see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/charity-trustee-whats-involved for more information
- have a particular focus on financial matters
- have familiarity with monitoring of budgets set by the Trustee board to ensure SDA's ongoing financial accountability, particularly with regard to SDA's commitments to the Arts Council Elevate funding programme
- be involved in the oversight of preparation of management accounts by the SDA exec team
- review our statutory annual accounts
- attend quarterly trustee board meetings (currently held by zoom)
- attend ad hoc meetings outside of board meetings and provide input as required
While experience or knowledge of the charity sector would be helpful, the essential requirement is a willingness to bring your experience to the board and learn how our organisation works internally and externally.
Please apply, we'd be delighted to hear from you.