Trustee & Honorary Treasurer
|Job Title:||Trustee & Honorary Treasurer|
|Salary:||Reasonable expenses covered|
|Contact Name:||Nell Gatehouse|
|Job Published:||November 04, 2018 20:48|
The South London Botanical Institute (SLBI) is a unique educational charity, currently changing and developing at an exciting pace. After more than a century, SLBI volunteers and supporters have a valued and vibrant tradition of sharing their passion for plants and their environments with the people, both adults and children, of south London and beyond. It is a friendly, volunteer-led charity with a dedicated staff-team. SLBI was fully endowed in 1910 with its building and botanic garden, and boasts a specialist library and a historic herbarium (pressed plant specimens). Income comes from investments, sales, donations, educational activities and grants. We operate restricted, designated and endowment funds.
We are looking for the right person lead the financial management of SLBI. This is an interesting and central (unpaid) trustee role and an opportunity to gain skills and experience in charity financial management. You will join an active group of trustees with various skills, experiences and lead responsibilities. The long-serving outgoing Treasurer will remain as a trustee, focussed on fund-raising and will provide phased handover, familiarisation and on-going support as needed.
The Hon. Treasurer has lead responsibility for financial reporting, for ensuring that the charity’s finances are well-managed & compliant, for coordinating finance-related tasks within the charity & ensuring timely external processing of salaries. You should be a qualified or part-qualified accountant or have equivalent experience. Some familiarity with charity financial management would be useful, but not essential. Additionally, you should have/develop an interest in the aims and activities of the SLBI. You do not need botanical knowledge. We estimate a time commitment that averages out at 2-3 hours per week, including trustee evening meetings every 2 months and occasional meetings with finance team. You’ll work with and be supported by the Administrator, who deals with the book-keeping and day-to-day finances, the Company Secretary, who makes Gift Aid claims, and the outgoing Treasurer.
SLBI was fully endowed in 1910 with its building and botanic garden. Income comes from investments, sales, donations, educational activities and grants. We operate restricted, designated and endowment funds.
Your main areas of responsibility will be:
- Preparation of & presentation of quarterly management accounts and finance reports to the trustees;
- Liaison with the Independent Examiner regarding Annual Accounts; contribution to Chairman’s Annual Report.
- Oversight of grant budgets and funds.
- Liaising with the SLBI Administrator to ensure accurate book-keeping and payments;
- Reviewing and developing internal financial procedures so they are robust and user-friendly;
- Ensuring review of investment policy every 2 years.
- Contributing to drafting & reviewing fund-raising programme
- Drawing up & monitoring budgets for the organisation and grant applications;
- Assisting funding applications and other income-generating activities.
- Authorising monthly payroll (processed externally), ensuring correct distribution against funds/budgets and authorising payments.
- Coordinating and quality control of finance activities carried out by staff & volunteers
There will be opportunities to contribute to business planning, grant applications and other developmental matters.
You should be a qualified or part-qualified accountant
If you believe you are suitable for the position please send a cover letter and CV outlining your interest in the position and related experience to Nell Gatehouse (email: email@example.com)
The last day to apply is Monday 31st December.
More details about SLBI can be found at: www.slbi.org.uk or from Nell Gatehouse: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's