22 days ago
South London Botanical Institute
The South London Botanical Institute (SLBI) is a unique educational charity, currently changing and developing at an exciting pace. After more than a century, SLBI volunteers and supporters have a valued and vibrant tradition of sharing their passion for plants and their environments with the people, both adults and children, of south London and beyond. It is a friendly, volunteer-led charity with a dedicated staff-team. SLBI was fully endowed in 1910 with its building and botanic garden, and boasts a specialist library and a historic herbarium (pressed plant specimens). Income comes from investments, sales, donations, educational activities and grants. We operate restricted, designated and endowment funds.
The present Treasurer is retiring, so we are looking for a successor to direct the financial management of SLBI and lead the Finance Team (FT). This is an interesting and central (unpaid) trustee role. You will join an active group of trustees with various skills, experiences and lead responsibilities. Outgoing Treasurer will provide handover and familiarisation.
The Hon. Treasurer has lead responsible for financial reporting, for ensuring that the charity’s finances are well-managed & compliant, and for leading the Finance Team. You should be a qualified or part-qualified accountant or have equivalent experience. Some familiarity with charity financial management would be useful, but not essential. Additionally, you should have/develop an interest in the aims and activities of the SLBI. You do not need botanical knowledge. We estimate a time commitment that averages out at 2-3 hours per week, including trustee evening meetings every 2 months and occasional meetings with finance team. The Finance Team consists of the SLBI Administrator, who deals with the day to day book-keeping and tracking of grant spend, and 1 trustee who manages Gift Aid and leads on grant applications.
Your main areas of responsibility will be:
- Oversight of grant budgets and funds.
- Preparation & presentation of quarterly management accounts and finance reports to the trustees;
- Liaison with the Independent Examiner regarding Annual Accounts; contribution to Chairman’s Annual Report.
- Liaising with the SLBI Administrator to ensure accurate book-keeping and payments;
- Reviewing and developing internal financial procedures so they are robust and user-friendly;
- 2-yearly review of investment policy every 2 years.
- Contributing to drafting & reviewing fund-raising programme
- Drawing up & monitoring budgets for the organisation and grant applications;
- Reviewing monthly payroll (processed externally), ensuring correct distribution against funds/budgets and authorising payments.
- Leading the Finance Team.
There will be opportunities to contribute to business planning, grant applications and other developmental matters.
If you believe you are suitable for the position please send an email outlining your interest in the position and related experience along with a CV to Nell Gatehouse (email: email@example.com)
The last day to apply is Sunday 30th September with interviews taking place in October.
More details about SLBI can be found at: www.slbi.org.uk or from Nell Gatehouse: firstname.lastname@example.org