|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Stephanie Garey|
|Job Published:||April 18, 2019 17:23|
Thank you for your interest in the role of Trustee at Womankind Worldwide
Every day women and girls face discrimination, poverty and violence just because they are female. Womankind is working to change that. Since we were founded 30 years ago Womankind has helped over 18 million women and their families.
Our vision is a just world where the rights of all women are respected, valued and realised. We work to end violence against women and girls, advance women’s economic rights and make sure that women have an equal say in the decisions which affect their lives.
We do development differently. Our small team is based in the UK and we work to support and strengthen women’s movements, primarily in Africa and Asia. Our current focus countries are Ethiopia, Kenya, Nepal, Uganda, Zimbabwe
Together with our partners we're tackling the root causes of gender inequality in their countries, and challenging governments and international agencies to protect and promote women’s rights through our policy and campaigns work.
We are looking for enthusiastic and committed individuals with relevant expertise and experience to join our Board of Trustees. The key priorities are to support the Chief Executive and staff in realising our exciting strategy and championing Womankind externally, using networks to increase the profile of the organisation and our work. In particular, we are looking for diverse candidates who are passionate about our mission, who have experience of and have experience of working internationally to support programmes and advocacy for gender equality. You will be joining a dedicated team of people who care deeply about the difference we are able to make working with women across the world. You will find more information about Womankind on our website (www.womankind.org.uk).
I look forward to hearing from you.
Chair of the Board of Trustees
TRUSTEE: ROLE DESCRIPTION
Trustees have ultimate responsibility for the governance of Womankind Worldwide, as outlined in the Articles of Association, ensuring it is delivering its charitable objectives, and is financially sound and compliant.
Term of office
Trustees are appointed for a 3 year term renewable, after review, for a further 3 years.
- Contribute to Womankind’s organisational strategic direction, delivery and review best practice approach.
- Acting in the best interest of the organisation at all times.
- Working together and not pursuing personal or sectional interests at the expense of the organisation interests.
- Monitor and react to the changing external environment in which Womankind operates
- With other trustees ensure that Womankind has sufficient financial resources to deliver its vision, mission and strategy.
- Ensure that all Womankind’s resources are managed in line with statutory requirements and best practice.
- Ensure that Womankind demonstrates the impact of its work and meets its commitment as a learning organisation.
- Contribute to fundraising and promoting the work of Womankind.
Skills and personal qualities
All trustees must have integrity and commitment, and align with the values and aims of Womankind. Trustees will also each bring different specific skills and experience to the Board of Trustees. Each trustee is expected to:
a) Work as part of a team, in a culture of learning and change.
b) Show commitment to the aims and work of Womankind Worldwide, in particular women’s rights and gender equality, and a clear commitment to feminist values and principles
c) Commit time and effort to serve on the Board, and to attend at least 3 out of 4 Board meetings per year.
d) Be willing to support, directly or indirectly, Womankind’s fundraising activities.
e) Demonstrate strategic vision and think creatively.
f) Be willing to speak their mind and exercise independent judgement.
g) Understand the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
h) Support managers and staff in the implementation of strategy.
I) Not be disqualified from being a trustee (through bankruptcy, disqualification as a director, removal as a trustee, non-spent conviction of dishonesty or corruption)
J) Be able to make the time commitment required to perform the functions of the role.
Trustee Role Description and Person Specification
The role description outlined below should be read in conjunction with the responsibilities set out above. We are seeking well-networked individuals with expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Management of international programme work, including experience of designing, developing and implementing work in partnership with civil society in low and middle-income countries
- Direct experience of working in support of women’s rights organisations and/or grassroots advocacy movements, working towards gender equality, ideally including direct experience of working in Africa or Asia and has the technical expertise in monitoring, evaluation and learning, in particular an understanding of a feminist approach, including participatory techniques and co-ownership
- Knowledge of feminism and women’s rights, with expertise in women’s economic empowerment / violence against women and / or political participation
We particularly welcome applications from young women, people with disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates.
Time commitment: The Board (and its Finance & Resources subcommittee, FRC) each meet 4-5 times per year in London. All Trustees are expected to attend the Board meeting and committee members to attend the FRC. In addition, to assist with relevant matters between meetings, for example strategic planning or fundraising activities.
Salary: This is an unpaid voluntary position. Reasonable travel expenses within the UK can be covered.
Deadline: Monday 29th April 2019
Interviews for shortlisted applicants will be held during the weeks commencing 20th May and 27th May 2019.
More information about Womankind Worldwide can be found on our website: www.womankind.org.uk
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's