|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Reference:||Cymer Afan Community Library|
|Contact Name:||Kate Miles|
|Job Published:||April 12, 2019 13:41|
About Cymer Afan Community Library
Cymer Afan Community Library is a voluntary community group, registered as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO). Our aim is to reduce social isolation, promote wellbeing and offer services and activities which would otherwise not be accessible to local people.
The mission of the Cymer Afan Community Library:
To promote literacy, education and culture in the Upper Afan Valley, encouraging a love of books and learning in people of all ages as well as providing a hub for the community:
“promoting reading and bringing our community together”.
What we do:
As well as offering a traditional library service we offer weekly and monthly classes & groups including Yoga, Tai Chi, art group, book club, baby massage, playgroup, film shows, children’s storytime and activities, Needle and Yarn group, family history research, Welsh conversation and coffee mornings. We also host Citizens Advice drop-ins, Hwyl Mental Health support, are access points for the Credit Union and Food Bank, and offer photocopying and printing.
About our Team
As a small team of trustees, staff and volunteers we are able to adapt and respond quickly to the emerging needs of the communities in which we work. Our Board of Trustees are the management committee who help guide and govern how the Library is run. Some of our trustees also have a volunteer role, working in the Library.
At this extremely exciting stage in our development we are looking to recruit to our Board of Trustees. We are looking for individuals who can use their skills, knowledge and experience to help guide and govern the Library and who can work with the staff team to shape strategy and give direction.
In particular, we are looking for a volunteer treasurer
- Knowledge of current finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Knowledge (and ideally experience ) of fundraising
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management (as necessary).
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly
Duties of the role:
- To oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Liaise with relevant staff, committee members and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Regularly report the financial position at trustee board meetings (cash flow, fundraising, performance etc.)
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year and the preparation for quarterly reviews.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors or an independent examiner.
The total time commitment for the role of a Trustee is anticipated to be a minimum of 6 days per year, which will consist of:
- Attendance at bi-monthly meetings. Meetings usually last up to 2 hours and currently take place at 4pm in Cymer Afan Community Library.
- Time to read and scrutinise Board papers prior to meetings.
- Attendance at additional development days and meetings when required.
- Time to support the staff team and other Trustees, either in person, by email or over the telephone.
In addition, the role of Treasurer requires an additional time commitment which could be up to a day a month.
If you are ready for this challenge and want to make a difference, then we’d love to hear from you!
Interested in getting involved?
For further details or an informal chat, please contact:
Gwyneth Price on 01639 850505 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Bob Chapman on 077 4842 3412 or email@example.com