|Salary:||Unpaid Voluntary role|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||February 05, 2019 12:22|
Reach Volunteering are working with Emmaus Village Carlton (EMV) in the recruitment of new Trustees to join their board. We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas: marketing, PR, project management and third sector Trustee experience, preferably in the homelessness sector.
EMV is a homelessness charity based in north Bedfordshire offering active support to formerly homeless people. We provide a real workable alternative to homelessness, offering people a home, as well as meaningful work in our social enterprise.
Main purpose of the role:
- Fiduciary responsibility, holding the organisation in trust and ensuring public confidence.
- Overall responsibility for the organisation’s strategic direction;
- Ensure that it meets its legal duties, remains solvent and is well run;
- Ensure the organisation delivers its vision, mission and values;
- Provide leadership.
In more detail, the duties of a trustee are:
- To ensure that the charity complies with its governing document, charity law, company law, and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that the charity pursues its charitable objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure that the charity applies its resources exclusively in furtherance of its objects.
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees' role of giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of the charity.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity and financial stability of the charity.
- To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity's funds.
- To appoint and support the Chief Community Officer and monitor their performance.
- Safeguarding duties.
- In addition to the above statutory duties of all trustees, each trustee should use any specific knowledge or experience they may have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This will involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, and providing advice and guidance in their area of expertise.
- Sitting on relevant EVC committees, or leading on specific project work.
- Ability to volunteer in the community/social enterprise.
- Commitment to the charity and willingness to learn about the ethos of Emmaus.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Strategic vision.
- Good, independent judgement and willingness to speak their mind.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Nolan's seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences.
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
What difference will you make?
Guiding the board on key strategic decisions regarding the effective running of the organisation is central to this role and will add significant value to the board’s decision making.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
This presents an exciting opportunity to become part of a small organisation that work very collaboratively always keeping their core purpose in mind. It’s a wonderful time to join as we continue to grow and develop with an increased demand.
- The board meets bi-monthly in Carlton.
- It is also desirable that the successful candidate is able to attend the monthly operations committee meeting when possible.
Before you apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. Please provide your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to work for the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's