|Contact Name:||Sue Shutter|
|Job Published:||October 24, 2021 18:03|
The Project for the Registration of Children as British Citizens (PRCBC) Board of Trustees is looking for trustees with financial experience and knowledge
This is a great opportunity to contribute to a small but significant charity.
PRCBC is the first and only organisation to focus directly on children and young adults and securing their rights to British citizenship. PRCBC was founded in November 2012 and was previously hosted by Ealing Law Centre then by Migrants Resource Centre/Consonant. It was registered as a charitable company in 2015 and as a charity in January 2020 and has been independent since March 2020. Its director/supervising solicitor is Solange Valdez-Symonds; it also employs a paralegal assistant. It uses the services of a consultant bookkeeper and is fundraising in order to be able to employ a second solicitor. It plans to apply for its own legal aid contract in the next funding round.
General Trustee responsibilities
Trustees are all volunteers. They must:
* Ensure that the charity complies with charity law, and with the requirements of the Charity Commission as regulator; ensure that the charity prepares periodic reports, annual returns and accounts as required by law;
* Ensure that the charity does not breach any of the requirements or rules set out in its governing document and remains true to the charitable purpose and objects set out there;
* Comply with the requirements of other legislation and regulators, which govern the activities of the charity;
* Act with integrity, and avoid any personal conflicts of interest or misuse of charity funds or assets.
Trustees are the employers of PRCBC staff and oversee the strategic direction of the organisation and ensure its financial viability. There are seven trustees at present.
The overall financial role of PRCBC’s trustees, led by the treasurer and in conjunction with the director, is as follows:
* To ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
* To oversee and present budgets, accounts and financial statements.
*To liaise with the director about financial matters.
*To ensure compliance with relevant legislation e.g. Companies and Charity legislation.
* To ensure any recommendations of the auditors are implemented.
* To ensure accounts meet the conditions of contractual agreements with external agencies such as statutory bodies and funders.
* To present financial reports to the committee.
* To make a presentation of the accounts at any AGM
* To advise on the financial implications of the organisation's strategic and operational plans
* To support the director and other trustees in making applications for trust and grant funding.
PRCBC’s treasurer has general experience of trusteeship of small charities but no specific financial qualifications. PRCBC needs a trustee with financial expertise and experience to assist the treasurer and other trustees with financial oversight and with the financial aspects of fundraising.
The overall time commitment varies, but it could be up to one day per month.
There are Trustee meetings approximately every eight weeks, usually on Monday evenings. They were held in London, but are currently held on zoom, and all Trustees are expected to attend these.
How to apply
To apply please send a CV with a short covering email to the Chair of PRCBC, Carol Bohmer, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your email should include a short paragraph explaining/outlining your interest in joining PRCBC’s trustees and your relevant experience.