|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Rachel Ord|
|Job Published:||August 17, 2021 15:07|
Circles South West currently has a Board of very active and dedicated Trustees. We are seeking to strengthen our skill set and community representation of the Board as well as ensure we have a strong succession management plan.
Our Trustees play a vital role in making sure that Circles South West achieves its core purpose. They strategically oversee the management and administration of the charity, as well as acting as Board of Directors. They also ensure that Circles South West has a clear strategy and that our work and goals are in line with our vision. Just as importantly, they support and challenge the executive team to enable Circles South West to work towards achieving our objectives.
Duties of all trustees
- Support and provide advice on Circles South West’s purpose, vision, goals and activities.
- Approve operational strategies and policies, and monitor and evaluate their implementation.
- Oversee Circles South West’s financial plans and budgets and monitor and evaluate progress.
- Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- Ensure that key risks are being identified, monitored and controlled effectively.
- Review and approve Circles South West’s financial statements.
- Provide support and challenge to Circles South West’s CEO in the exercise of her/his delegated authority and affairs.
- Keep abreast of changes in Circles South West’s operating environment.
- Contribute to regular reviews of Circles South West’s own governance.
- Endeavour to attend all Board meetings, adequately prepared to contribute to discussions.
- Exercise independence of judgment, acting legally and in good faith to promote and protect Circles South West’s interests, to the exclusion of their own personal and/or any third party interests.
- Contribute to the broader promotion of Circles South West’s objects, aims and reputation through the application of their skills, expertise, knowledge and contacts.
- Oversee our Safeguarding processes to ensure Circles South West is safe organisation for all
We are looking for people willing to bring energy, enthusiasm and commitment to the role, and who will broaden the diversity of thinking on our board. You do not need previous governance experience – we will provide a full induction and training.
Personal skills and qualities
- Willingness and ability to understand and accept their responsibilities and liabilities as Trustees and to act in the best interests of the organisation.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, exercise good, independent judgement and work effectively as a Board member.
- Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion.
- A strong personal commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
As well as the above we are particularly interested in applications from people with one or more of the following skills.
Business / commercial / commissioning: to provide thoughtful leadership, guidance and advice around developing fee earning services. A trustee with this experience will help us diversify our funding base to become more sustainable.
HR Experience: to assist, advise and maintain an overview of our HR processes and policies for paid staff and volunteers. This includes, recruitment and retention, training and development, professional conduct and disciplinary processes. A Trustee with this experience will ensure that HR activities and interventions are linked to the organisation’s charitable objectives and complement the organisation’s culture.
We are committed to increasing the diversity of our Board and we would especially welcome applicants from minority ethnic groups, from people with a disability, and from people under the age of 35 years who are all under-represented on our board.
We operate virtually and welcome applications from throughout the SW region.
What difference will you make?
You will providing a service which reduces the risk of someone becoming the victim of a sexual abuse in your area by providing support and accountability to those in the community who have been convicted of or are at risk of committing sexual offences.
What's in it for the volunteer?
The knowledge you are part of a proven program that reduces the risks of someone in your community becoming the victim of a sexual offence.
Attending four board meetings per year plus Annual strategy day, AGM and occasional Circles South West conferences
A few more details
This is a voluntary role. We will reimburse all reasonable expenses.
How to apply
Applications are through Reach TrusteeWorks. Please send a CV or similar (eg LinkedIn Profile) with a short letter outlining: • why you are interested in joining our Board; • your relevant skills and experience; • how you think you could apply your skills and experience to strengthen our board to: email@example.com If you have any questions prior to making an application or would like to speak to our Chair we are happy to arrange this.