|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Job Published:||February 17, 2021 11:56|
The University of Sussex Students’ Union is looking for motivated and experienced individuals to become trustees of the Union, helping to manage the strategy and finances of the organisation, whilst providing a solid structure of expertise, experience and support to the elected student officers to ensure that the Students’ Union will be able to deliver positive change for its members year after year.
Trustees have and must accept ultimate responsibility for directing the affairs of a charity and ensuring that it is solvent, well-run, and delivering the charitable outcomes for the benefit of the public for which it has been set up.
As a Trustee, you will be required to:
- Attend between seven and nine meetings a year, as well as one or more training/induction sessions.
- Prepare for Board meetings by reading through materials and Board papers beforehand.
- Keep in regular contact with the other Trustees and provide feedback and input on issues when they arise
Skills and abilities (Essential):
- Offer challenge to management and officers
- Use your skills to help advance the Students’ Union
- Be a critical friend to the Students’ Union
- Be able to hold and justify an opinion/view, using evidence/analysis
- Listen and learn in debate and discussion
- Be an advocate for the Students’ Union
- Be able to network on behalf of the Students’ Union
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience of working at a board level and of governance (Essential)
- Experience of the students’ union movement (Desirable)
Have expertise in one or more of the following (Essential):
- Social policy campaigning and advocacy
- Equalities and diversity legislation and/or experience of anti-racist campaigning
- Digital communications with regard to membership engagement
- Democratic governance
- Accounting and finance for charity sector organisations
- Company and/or charity law
- Human Resources Management
Personal attributes (Essential):
- Value student leadership; understand the importance of students actively shaping how we operate and what we do
- Being friendly and respectful of others in order to maintain a safe and considerate workplace
- Being honest, open and supportive of others, empowering others to be fulfilled in their role
- Being progressive, valuing equality, diversity and inclusion, ethics and the environment
- Act with integrity
What's in it for the volunteer?
By joining us as a Trustee, you will:
- get board level experience to help your career and develop your CV
- receive raining in governance and what it means to be a Trustee
- work with a friendly team
- work with students who are driving forward change to build a better tomorrow
- be part of a charity that ensures student get as much as possible out of their education and University experience
Attend between seven and nine meetings a year, as well as one or more training/induction sessions. This will include the Board meetings and any sub-committees to which you are appointed. You can attend meetings virtually, but if you are able to we would like you to attend a few meetings each year on campus. Of course our Trustees are currently doing all meetings virtually due to the pandemic.
A few more details
All expenses incurred as a result of the business undertaken on behalf of the Students’ Union will be reimbursed. The Students’ Union will also provide training and a one-day induction in order to support your role.
How to apply
Please contact us initially via the Reach Volunteering platform. Deadline: 25 Feb 2021.