Brighton Therapy Centre is seeking a new Trustee with a background in finance who can support the Board develop the services offered by BTC.
Brighton Therapy Centre is a local registered charity in the heart of Brighton, that provides a wide range of high quality counselling, therapy, psychological services, courses and workshops.
Being a Trustee for a local charity like BTC can be a very rewarding experience and create a feeling of civic pride and participation. Other ways which can be of benefit include: Gain experience in strategic planning, fundraising, and financials as well as a deeper understanding of various talking therapies, add significant value to the table.
We are a small team and everyone’s opinion matters, build a network of professional contacts. As well as the other trustees, we are a community of practitioners and encourage opportunities to share and network with one another. We also believe In respecting all kinds of people and ideas and taking everyone seriously.
Each trustee is expected to use their specific skills, knowledge and experience to help the charity achieve its goals. This will involve:
• Attending approximately four Board meetings per year, one strategy day & two practitioners meeting per year
• Trustees with a clinical background will invited to attend a monthly sub committee of the board who’s role is to support the clinical lead in maintaining good clinical governance.
• Scrutinising board papers
• Leading discussions
• Guiding and supporting executive and staff employees
• Acting as an ambassador for the charity in the community and with practitioners
• Providing leadership and guidance on new initiatives
• Contributing on other issues in which the trustee has special expertise
The Trustee may come from a wide variety of professional backgrounds. At this time, BTC is particularly seeking applications from those with financial/accounting experience.
We would also welcome other individuals with an interest in our organisation who can add value to our Board to apply.
We value the involvement of people who bring knowledge of lived experience of mental health issues. To enable us to maintain diversity on the board we would particularly welcome applications from LBGTQ and/or ethnic minority backgrounds.
- Knowledge of accounting/book-keeping/numeracy to the extent required to understand BTC’s accounts with the support of staff
- Commitment to the aims, principles and mission of Brighton Therapy Centre
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, and to exercise good, independent judgement
- Ability to understand and accept their responsibilities and liabilities as trustee and employer
- Interest in, and understanding of, mental health issues, challenges, policy, and practice
- Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion
- Willingness to gain knowledge of local needs and resources
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- A senior practitioner trained in one of the disciplines included in our list of services including psychoanalytic psychotherapy, integrative psychotherapy, group psychotherapy, couples / systemic therapy, psychology or creative arts therapies
- Current or past clinical practice
- Strong Brighton and Hove district community connections
- Personal connections to, or experience of, mental health services and support
- Knowledge of fundraising and or local fund making trusts.
• The Trustee Board together with the executive director and clinical manager currently meet four times a year normally for about 2 hours with one of these being an extended meeting (usually in April) to review and consider direction and strategy.
• Meetings usually take place quarterly on Friday afternoons at 3-5pm.
• Trustees with social welfare/mental health expertise are expected to join sub-groups where assistance is required with clinical Governance matters.
• Trustees are also asked to attend at least one practitioner’s meeting every 6 months on Fridays 5 – 7 pm and to contribute to additional ad hoc meetings to provide for specific needs as they arise. An example would be helping with interviewing new staff.
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach Volunteering in the first instance. To express your interest please send us a CV and a covering letter in which you should indicate:
• Your interest in mental health referring to any relevant experience
• Any experience you have in governance in a charity, private or public body
• Your goals and what you would hope to contribute as a trustee of BTC