20 days ago
The Refugee and Migrant Centre (RMC) has been providing a safe, welcoming environment and so much more to tens of thousands of asylum seekers, refugees, EU migrants and migrants from more established minority ethnic groups across the Black Country and Birmingham since 1999.
RMC are an award winning regional charity with offices in Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Walsall providing support, casework/advice and guidance to some of the most vulnerable individuals and families in our society.
RMC is currently seeking multiple Trustees, from a range of backgrounds and with a variety of skills, to join our board.
What does the role involve?
The Trustees are ultimately responsible for matters arising at RMC and directing the steer of the organisation, ensuring that it operates effectively, remains solvent and continues to deliver on the outcomes intended when the organisation was founded.
In addition to the above statutory duties, Trustees are expected to use any areas of expertise, knowledge or skills they have amassed to work with fellow Board members to reach sound decisions. Trustees should:
- Attend regular Board meetings, of which there are currently eight per year, which involves examining briefing papers in advance and actively contributing to points of discussion on the agenda.
- Serve on one or more sub-committees, which may either be ongoing forums or set up specifically to deal with issues, as and when they arise.
- Participate in other planning and strategic activities as required, including attendance at away days, planning sessions, selection processes and interview panels.
- Support RMC staff and volunteers, if requested by SMT, in matters where the Trustee may be proficient, such as in marketing and communications, HR and recruitment, training or fundraising.
- Act as a representative of RMC, for stakeholders, clients, funders and the wider Birmingham and Black Country communities.
Who would be suited to the role?
All potential trustees should have demonstrated:
- Commitment to RMC, including its key principles and ethos.
- Understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Ability to work well with others, as a member of a team.
- Prudent, independent judgement.
- Prepared to express their viewpoints and speak their mind.
- Leadership skills.
- Experience of charity governance and strategic vision.
- Willingness to devote the time and effort required, to impart the benefit of their skills and experience.
The key officers’ roles within the board are currently filled but vacancies for these roles may arise in the future.
RMC would benefit from the contribution of individuals who have the following skills, in particular:
- Marketing and PR
- Charity fundraising
What difference will you make?
As a trustee, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the governance of an established regional charity as we continue to grow, shaping the strategic plan and monitoring our performance and delivery against key targets, to ensure that we meet the needs of our beneficiaries.
What can you gain from volunteering?
All new trustees will undergo an induction process, to ensure that they feel welcome and informed. RMC’s board is comprised of a group of friendly, experienced and committed individuals, along with a capable staff team. Your skills and experience will be invaluable in ensuring that RMC can continue to deliver vital services to our beneficiaries.
Candidates will need provide two references and attend an interview before appointment. All Board members will be entitled to claim reasonable expenses incurred in carrying out their duties, in line with RMC’s financial policies.
How to apply
If you are interested, please send an expression of interest (1-2 pages of A4) and your CV via Reach TrusteeWorks in the first instance.