8 days ago
At RSVP, we believe that everyone deserves a life free from sexual violence and abuse. We offer empathic services to support and inspire children and adults of all genders who have been affected by sexual violence and abuse.
We are currently seeking a number of Trustees with varying skills and backgrounds to join our board
Trustees have and must accept ultimate responsibility for directing the affairs of RSVP, ensuring it is solvent, well-run, and delivering the outcomes for which it has been set up.
The Board will:
- Ensure RSVP is run in compliance with its values and governing document.
- Set or approve policies, plans and budgets to achieve RSVP's strategic objectives.
- Monitor performance against the strategic plan.
- Ensure RSVP remains solvent, financially strong and performs well.
- Ensure that RSVP complies with all relevant laws, regulations and requirements of its regulators.
- Agree all policies and decisions on matters which might create significant risk to RSVP, financial or otherwise.
- Set and maintain a framework of delegation and internal control.
What are we looking for?
- Commitment to the organisation.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort and to impart the benefit of their skills and experience.
- Strategic vision.
- Good, independent judgement.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Willingness to speak their mind.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Leadership skills.
If someone is open to considering taking on the role of Vice Chair or Chair that would be desirable. These roles are currently filled but it may be that we need someone to step into these roles in the future.
We are particularly interested in individuals with the following skills:
- Marketing and PR
- Charity fundraising
Please note, our strategic aim is to apply to become a member of Rape Crisis England and Wales. This requires the Vice Chair and Chair to be female and overall 75% of the Board must be female too. Given the current make up of our board we are only accepting applications from women at this time in order to meet this requirement.
We are also keen to increase representation on our board. We would especially welcome applications from people from a variety of ethnic minority backgrounds and younger people.
There is an induction process in place to ensure new trustees feel welcome and informed.
What difference will you make?
You will have the opportunity to help set the future direction of the organisation, shape the strategic business plan and monitor performance to ensure that we meet the needs of our beneficiaries.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
You will be joining a friendly and committed board. By providing your skills and experience you will help to ensure that the organisation continues to provide its invaluable services to the beneficiaries.
It is estimated that trustees can expect to commit approximately 50 hours a year / 12.5 hours per quarter to RSVP Board and related activities including:
- Management Committee meetings
- Sub-committee activities
- Attendance at one or two training / planning sessions
- Reading Management Committee papers etc.
- Please note that board meetings are held outside working hours.
A few more details
We do need a DBS check, we cannot accept a DBS check done by another agency but we can accept an online portable one. Also, for safeguarding we do require two references and an interview to take place with two people. All Board members will be entitled to payment of expenses incurred in carrying out their duties, in line with the charity’s financial procedures.
Before you apply
In order to apply please request a copy of the application form.