26 days ago
National Motor Museum Trust Ltd
Trustee role description (voluntary)
The National Motor Museum, founded in 1972 by Edward, Lord Montagu of Beaulieu is a leading independent museum and charity. It is dedicated to preserving and promoting motoring history and has a world famous collection of vehicles and associated motoring items. It is an accredited Museum and its Collections, which comprise around 1.7 million items, are Designated by Arts Council England.
The National Motor Museum Trust (NMMT) has an educational mission that is delivered in a number of ways, including an award-winning educational programme.
The NMMT works in collaboration with Beaulieu Enterprises which runs the visitor attraction of Beaulieu in which the Museum sits.
Further information can be found at www.nationalmotormuseum.org.uk
We wish to recruit additional trustees who can bring significant expertise and enthusiasm to the trustee board (see personal specification below).
Trustees are collectively responsible for the governance of the Museum. In addition, each trustee will normally have a special area of interest or expertise.
- To ensure that the NMMT has a clear vision and strategic direction in accordance with its objectives as defined in the governing document
- To ensure that it complies with relevant legal and regulatory requirements
- To ensure the highest possible standards of governance
- To ensure proper control and use of charity assets
- Annually to approve the financial plan and budget
- Attend board meetings, usually quarterly
- To support staff, to receive reports from staff, monitor progress against objectives.
- To ensure that major risks to which the charity is exposed are reviewed and systems established to mitigate these risks
- To appoint the Chief Executive and, when appropriate, other key staff
- To act in the best interests of the charity at all times using any specific skills, knowledge and expertise
Note: The board may from time to time delegate responsibilities to individual trustees or groups of trustees. However, all major strategic decisions are taken collectively.
Strong personal affinity with our purpose
Values - integrity, openness, diplomacy, understanding, tact
Willingness to work collaboratively
Knowledge and experience of the not for profit sector or expert knowledge in a relevant field
Expertise in one of more of the areas listed below
Sufficient time to discharge duties (approximately two days per quarter)
To be able to travel to Beaulieu and London for meetings
The ability to set a common approach to find consensus
Knowledge and expertise in the Arts, Heritage, Museum, Archives or Education sectors
Willingness to input additional time to support NMMT staff to deliver priorities if required
To be able to provide support to staff between meetings and attend occasional additional meetings at Beaulieu
We wish to strengthen the skills on our trustee board in the following areas:
- Advocacy and stakeholder engagement
- Income generation, including innovative use of collections
- Development and fundraising in the museum or not for profit sector
- Financial management
- Museum and archives management
- Education and learning
- Marketing and income generation
- Outreach to the historic motoring movement
Note: We are open to applications from those who have the skills, time and interest but who do not wish to formally take on trustee responsibilities. There are other ways you can be involved, please talk to us.
If you would like an informal conversation before applying, please free to contact:
Russell Bowman or Andrea Bishop
Chief Executive Director of Collections & Engagement
01590 614631 01590 614659
To apply, please provide the following information by 15th November 2019:
- Brief resume, including current roles and previous experience
- A statement of why you are interested in this role
- A statement of what you could bring to this role
- Your contact details
Please send this information to Anna-Marie.O'Connor@beaulieu.co.uk
OR by post to:
Anna-Marie O’Connor, National Motor Museum Trust, Beaulieu, Hampshire SO42 7ZN