17 days ago
Voices are looking for an experienced professional with a legal background to serve as a Trustee. You will have an interest and empathy with our purpose to help us expand our services.
- Taking a lead role on the Board for legal and compliance matters.
- To provide the Board of Trustees and members of staff with guidance for legal matters with the charity, where appropriate to experience, and to liaise with external advisors if required, ensuring that the charity is kept up to date and informed of any changes and updates to its legal obligations.
- Review policies and risks annually with the Chair and other Trustees, giving advice on any legal implications they may present.
- Where appropriate to experience, the provision of ad hoc legal advice including in relation to commercial agreements, property law and charity law.
- Set, shape and deliver key objectives from the charity’s strategic plans, alongside fellow Board members and the management team.
You must be willing to promote openness and accountability, always holding the charity’s best interests to heart.
- A solicitor or barrister with a current practising certificate, qualified in England and Wales or Scotland, with relevant experience or a legal professional with knowledge of current legal practice.
- An understanding of the UK charity sector, good governance, Charity Commission, Companies House requirements, relevant legislations and statutory requirements.
- An understanding of the challenges facing small UK charities in respect to legal compliance
- Able to operate at senior management/strategic level, with time to commit consistently
- Ability to work as a team member
- Experience in strategy, organisational development and steering organisations through a process of growth is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UK charity and voluntary sectors.
- Experience of being part of a board or committee
What difference will you make?
You will be a key player in the next stage of growth for our services, one of which involves providing legal support to our clients. Your skills and expertise will enable us to confidently plan and execute putting in place these high-demand services and ensure our users can access the support they need.
What's in it for the volunteer?
You will experience being involved in a very exciting new chapter of our history and expansion of our services. You will play a key role in making it possible. This will give you the opportunity to showcase your expertise for the benefit of our clients.
How to apply
Applications must be made via TrusteeWorks in the first instance. In order to apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, what skills and experience you will bring to the board, directly addressing the person specification, and any other relevant information.