Treasurer (voluntary role)
|Job Title:||Treasurer (voluntary role)|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Ali Harris|
|Job Published:||November 11, 2019 11:27|
Equally Ours is the UK charity that brings together people and organisations working across equality, human rights and social justice to make a reality of these in everyone’s lives. We join up research, policy and communications to shift public opinion and policy in positive and powerful ways.
We believe that a good and strong society is a just and inclusive one. One where we are free from harm and can all contribute and flourish, whoever we are and whatever we do or don’t have. A society that is equally ours.
We are looking for a treasurer with relevant financial skills and experience. We’re a small charity, so the treasurer will need to be happy to prepare the quarterly reports and annual accounts. We’re also an ambitious charity, so we're looking for someone who is strategic and can use their financial knowledge to help us grow and increase our impact in the longer term.
Ideally you will have previous experience as a treasurer, as we have appointed our first finance officer (1 day/week) and you will need to support them to ensure the smooth financial administration of the organisation, in collaboration with the chief executive.
Our current annual turnover is between £300K - £400K, made up of grants from a variety of different funders, members’ fees and some earned income. The finance system is controlled with a combination of spreadsheets and an online accounting package.
The charity is based in the UK Age offices at Tavistock Square in central London and has a staff of seven (five FTEs).
Chaired by Asif Afridi, the board is professional and friendly. Quarterly meetings and the AGM are held during business hours. The term of office is 3 years, renewable.
- Work with the board and chief executive to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Responsible for strategic financial planning, financial risk assessment and management.
Prepare financial and management reports (including balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance) for the quarterly trustee meetings and present the reports at these meetings.
Prepare the annual accounts. Appoint and liaise with the Independent Examiners to ensure the accounts are compliant and completed in a timely manner. Present the final accounts at the AGM.
Oversee the financial administration of Equally Ours, ensuring proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Provide practical guidance on issues such as HMRC, NI and pensions.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them. Advise the chief executive and fellow trustees on relevant developments.
- Appraise the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Knowledge and experience of current fundraising and finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
- Understanding of the kind and level of financial information needed at board level to support decision making.
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Ability to think strategically, and support growth.
- A balanced approach to risk.
- Commitment to equality, human rights and social justice.
- Ability to commit the time required to fulfil the responsibilities described.
As with all trustees, this is a voluntary role. We can pay reasonable travel expenses.
Please send your CV (including two referees) and a 1 page statement that explains why you’d like to be our new treasurer and outlines the key skills and experience you’d bring. Send to Ali Harris, email@example.com.
Or email Ali to arrange an informal conversation to find out more.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's