|Job Title:||Treasurer (Trustee)|
|Contact Name:||Robin Geller|
|Job Published:||July 24, 2020 15:51|
Seeking a new Board Member for Young Bristol
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Board of Trustees of Young Bristol – a charity with an outstanding record of supporting young people in the Bristol area for over 90 years. As a member of its committed and enthusiastic Board, you will help shape the future of the charity – and support Young Bristol’s work to transform lives. Serving on the Young Bristol Board will offer a deep sense of satisfaction while expanding your knowledge of charity governance and youth services.
Young Bristol is recognised as one of Bristol’s leading providers of community based youth services, through our club network based in some of Bristol’s most challenging communities. Partnering with other community-based organisations and working directly with young people, we respond creatively to the needs of young people and help them to realise their capabilities. We are a valued provider of outdoor activities, creative arts, instructor training and informal educational programmes during and outside of school hours. We provide positive activities and safe places designed to help young people to build confidence, skills, and self- esteem whilst having fun and improving their pathway to employment.
Young Bristol has a strong record of success, with some notable achievements in the past few years –and the organisation was honoured to receive the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service in June 2020. The Charity recently launched the Youth Bus - the result of a highly successful fundraising campaign to mark the charity’s 90th birthday - and is bringing a renewed focus to the clubs’ network.
Young Bristol’s turnover in 2018/19 was over £800,000 and has been growing steadily year on year. The Charity’s income derives from a range of sources including large grants to deliver programmes and activities, donations from individuals and foundations and income from the delivery of activities. It is seeking to increase income from all sources and, in the coming year, Young Bristol will relocate its outdoor activities centre. The new centre, in addition to being used by local schools and clubs, will also allow for the generation of additional revenues to support Young Bristol’s charitable activities.
The Board of Trustees of Young Bristol is recruiting a new member to complement the skills of existing Board members at an exciting – as well as challenging – time for the charity. We are looking for someone who has an affinity for our mission as well as the desire and ability to help Young Bristol achieve its ambitious goals. At this time, we are specifically looking for an individual with a finance background who will take on the role of Treasurer. Information about our current Board members can be found at: http://youngbristol.com/our-work/our-team/.
In addition to financial experience, successful candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- A track record of sound judgement and effective decision making
- Empathy with and a desire to support young people
- A commitment to promoting equality and diversity
- The ability and willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- The disposition to speak their mind and offer constructive challenge when appropriate
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- The ability to work effectively and collegially as a member of the Board
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Board and the senior management team
The Board of Trustees is jointly and severally responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, its financial health, the probity of its activities and developing the organisation’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, and legal and regulatory guidelines. Details regarding the organisation’s vision, mission and values can be found on the Young Bristol website (www.youngbristol.com).
The Trustee appointment is a voluntary role, with an initial appointment of three years, renewable twice. The Board meets at least six times a year, in Bristol.
Role of Treasurer
The Treasurer plays a critically important role on the Board and works very closely with the Chief Executive and the Chair of the Board in carrying out his/her responsibilities. The Treasurer is responsible for ensuring that the Board fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of Young Bristol and serves as a member of the Finance and General Purposes Committee.
The full role description for the Treasurer is attached.
Individuals interested in applying to join the Board of Trustees of Young Bristol should submit a copy of their c.v. and a covering note explaining their interest in the role to Lee Williams, Chief Executive of Young Bristol, at email@example.com. For further information about the role, potential candidates may contact Jamie Cameron at Jamie.firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Monday, 9 September 2020 and candidates who have been short-listed will be invited for interview in early October.
Role description for treasurer of Young Bristol
The treasurer is an honorary officer of the Young Bristol (YB) Board of Trustees. The role of treasurer is therefore held by a non-executive member of the Young Bristol Board of Trustees.
Treasurer’s key responsibilities:
- oversees the financial performance of the charity, on behalf of the Board, to ensure YB’s short and long-term financial sustainability
- ensures that the Board fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of YB
- member of the Finance and General Purpose Committee (F&GP), in particular providing expert advice on the financial documents such as the annual accounts and the annual budgets
- assists the Chair and the Chief executive in ensuring that the Board fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of the charity.
Duties and tasks to fulfil the key responsibilities
In partnership with the chief executive and members of the YB Finance and General Purposes Committee (F&GP):
- advising the Board on the proposed financial strategy and reviewing and monitoring the implementation of that financial strategy
- ensures that YB operates within the financial guidelines set out in relevant legislation and regulations
- ensures that YB has adequate financial and internal audit controls and that these are monitored and reviewed regularly
- identifies and brings to the attention of the Board any significant financial risks facing YB
- ensures that YB’s financial resources are sufficient to meet the charity’s current and future needs
- advises F&GP and the Board on the reserves policy and ensures that this policy is reviewed and monitored regularly
- scrutinises the proposed annual budget and advises F&GP and the Board accordingly
- scrutinises management accounts, performance against budget, trading performance and advises F&GP and the Board accordingly
- evaluates YB’s cash flow position, and informs F&GP and the Board of any concerns
- ensures that funding received for specific purposes is separately accounted for and spent for the purposes for which it was given
- ensures that income due to YB is received and that appropriate tax benefits are obtained and rating relief due is claimed
- reviews longer term forecasts of capital resources and of income and expenditure
- reviews and monitors financial trends within YB and the sector
- meets the external auditor once a year
- formally presents the accounts to the annual general meeting, drawing to members’ attention all relevant matters, and to respond to questions from the floor
- serves as a member of the Finance and General Purposes Committee.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's