|Job Title:||Treasurer Trustee|
|Contact Name:||Jayne Kendall|
|Job Published:||August 07, 2018 16:20|
The Cranfield Trust is a national charity and the UK's leading provider of pro bono business support for the voluntary sector.
Every year our network of over 1000 skilled volunteers from the commercial sector share their knowledge and experience with charities by providing independent advice and support on everything from business planning to charity governance and financial planning. We are able to deliver all our valuable services for free thanks to the generous support of volunteers, charitable trusts and foundtions, individual givers, major doors, corporate supporters and legacies.
In relation to the Board, the Treasurer is responsible for:
- Making fellow trustees aware of the financial position of the Trust and interprting financial data to them
- At trustees meetings, reporting to the board on the balance sheet, cashflow, budget and fundraising performance of the Trust
- Supporting the evelopment of the rust's financial strategy to underpin our growth ambition
- Advisisng on the financial viability of our plans, proposals and feasibility studies
- Overseeing the production of an annual budget and proposing it to the board
- Appointing auditors and board level liaison with them as required, in particular the Auditors' management letter and the related board board representations
- Leading in the development and implementation of financial reserves, cost management and investment policies
- Overseeing the Trust' financial risk management process
In relation to the staff finance team:
- Liaising with appropriate members of staff on finance and compliance matters
- Ensuring proper recirds are kept and that effective financial controls and procedures are in place
- Ensure that the Trust operates to comply with condirions set by funders and with statutory requirements
- Acting as a counter signatory on charity cheques and bank payments, and important applications to funders
- Maintaining oversight of any risk to reputation and/or financial standing of th organisation
In relation to the wider community:
- Leading the board's duty to ensure that proper accoounting records are kept, financial resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent, in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an evident interest in, and enthusiasm for, supporting charities with their challenges. S/he will bring experience of serving on boards and bring the gravitas and financial background that will benefit the work of the charity. S/he will be able to command the respect and engagement of the current board and support good charitable governance. S/he will be at ease in working with staff in a non-executive role and will be able to form a strong relationship with the Head of Finance, Admin and Control and the Finance Manager of the Cranfield Trust.
The position is unremunerated, but with expenses available.
We are looking for someone with:
- Experience as a Director and/or Trustee, ideally in a Finance/charity Treasurer role
- Strong financial and compliance experience
- Management skills in judging people and procedures
- Governance experience to operate effectively in a non-executive role
- Experience in small organisations, and ideally, of fundraising organisations
- Some awareness of the third sector (the new regulations and governance requirements, the pace, processes, and tight funding)
- Understanding and accepting the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship and adhering to the Governance Code, and to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- Commitment to the charity’s objects, and willingness to devote time to carry out responsibilities
- Strategic and forward-looking vision in relation to the charity’s objects and aims
- Good, independent judgement, political impartiality and the ability to think creatively in the context of the organisation and external environment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to respect the confidences of colleagues
- Balancing tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and constructively criticise
- Prior experience of finance committee/trustee work, with experience of charity finance and fundraising
What difference will you make?
The role of the Treasurer is key in ensuring that there is strong financial oversight at board level, and effective financial management at staff level. Our outgoing Treasurer has served three terms of office, which is driving our recruitment.
Cranfield Trust provides a pro bono management consulting service and HR advice to charities to help them and the sector to run more effectively and efficiently. We currently support over 1,700 charities, with a relatively small, often part-time staff, which is both challenging and rewarding.
Our Board of Trustees sets our strategy, monitors its implementation and is responsible for the financial viability and scrutiny of the Trust. The Board also agrees the business plan and performance targets on an annual basis and is responsible for approving each year’s budget, monitoring performance, management of risk and compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements.
- A knowledge of small enterprises, ideally in the voluntary sector
- Professional skills and background to support the Trust’s reputation with excellent financial management and compliance
The role will be based mainly from home but there will be a requirement from time to time to visit the Cranfield Trust offices in Romsey.
The Board meets at least 4 times a year between 4 - 7pm in central London but once a year in their Romsey office
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's