Treasurer to Board of Trustees
|Job Title:||Treasurer to Board of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Reference:||Treasures April 2020|
|Job Published:||April 22, 2020 14:53|
ABOUT EMERGENCY NUTRITION NETWORK (ENN)
ENN’s vision is that every individual caught up in a nutritional emergency, or suffering from malnutrition anywhere in the world, gets the most effective help possible. ENN undertakes knowledge management, research and advocacy to support national governments, civil society, UN, donor and academic organisations. Through these collaborations we support agencies to implement evidence-based nutrition programming, predominantly in low- and middle-income countries and in fragile and conflict affected states.
ENN is a well-established and highly respected UK-based, registered charity (established in 1996) working to reduce undernutrition globally. ENN is governed by a Board of Trustees and has its head office in Oxfordshire, UK. ENN is financially supported by bilateral donors, international non-governmental organisations and United Nations agencies. For more information about ENN see our website: www.ennonline.net
Financially, ENN has an income of c. £1.3m annually, with the majority of our funding from government (institutional) donor grants (Irish Aid, USAID, DFID), charitable foundations (Eleanor Crook Foundation, Waterloo Foundation), and other sources including support from UN agencies and INGOs. Our accounts are prepared in GBP and filed in the UK with the Charity Commission and Companies House in accordance with our UK charity requirements. Our financial year runs from 01/02 – 31/01 and we currently operate a Sage 50 accounts management system which we are looking to change. For more information and our annual accounts, please see our website (above).
THE TRUSTEE ROLE
ENN is led by its Board of Trustees, several of whom have been with the organisation for a long tenure, and we are now looking to expand the board of trustees during 2020 to further support the organisation and its next Strategic chapter. The Board are responsible for overall governance, oversight and contributing to strategic direction, working closely with the ENN Management team of 4 Technical Directors and an Operations and Finance Director. Being an ENN Trustee is an influential and valuable role and you will make an important contribution to our current work and future direction. This is an exciting time to join ENN as a Trustee as in 2020 we will be designing ENN’s new strategy for 2021 and beyond.
We are looking for a Treasurer who is ready to work hands on with the ENN team to improve our financial management, systems and processes and to co-create a fit for purpose finance function which will enable project delivery and grant accountability.
The Treasurer will contribute expertise in Finance to the Board and lead the recently formed finance sub-committee. Tasks will typically include:
- Auditor identification, engagement and management (annual audit and also grant / donor audits as required)
- Oversight of ENN’s financial systems and reporting, including support to a Systems Change during 2020 / 21
- Oversight of ENN’s Reserves Policy and management
- Oversight of ENN’s Banking and Investments
- Technical support and coaching to the ENN Operations and Finance Director and the ENN Finance team
- Resolving any escalations of financial issues
- Reporting any financial improprieties or misconduct
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive management experience in finance, fully / part-qualified with relevant qualifications (AAT / ACCA or equivalent)
- Experience in Financial Systems change projects
- Experience in overseeing annual audits, identifying and managing auditors
- An ability to contribute significantly to the work of the Trustees, particularly through the application of your expertise.
- Understanding of the role of a Trustee and how Trustees can interact with ENN’s Management Team to best effect.
- Experience / knowledge of the development of organisational strategy and funding / business models
- Experience of recruiting and managing finance teams would be an advantage
- Experience / knowledge of financial management in the charity/third sector would be advantage
- Experience / knowledge of financial management of grants and contracts would be an advantage
- Proven track-record of successfully implementing and overseeing effective policies and processes, driving accountability throughout an organisation or otherwise bringing change
- A demonstrable commitment to ENN’s aims, values and work
- Credibility in your sphere of work and the ability to help lead a growing charitable organisation to deliver sustainable progress aligned with our strategy
- Strong inter-personal and relationship-building skills
- Commitment to undertake ENN’s safeguarding training and adherence to relevant policies
The above represent “the perfect candidate” but please do not be deterred if you do not fulfil every criterion.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
TIME COMMITMENT – AND OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
Your commitment in an average year is likely to be between 12 -20 days, of which 4 would be full day Board Meetings on fixed dates, planned well in advance. We encourage active participation and engagement and Trustees often give more time outside of this.
There are four Board meetings a year, each lasting a day held at the ENN HQ in Kidlington, Oxfordshire. Additional sub-committee meetings will be convened in person or remotely. We are looking for a Treasurer who is willing to be hands on with our team, comfortable working with the Board, the Management team, and the Finance team, to co-create workable solutions and proactively suggest, and support the implementation of, improvements to our ways of working, systems, processes and structures.
We’d ideally like you to join the Board by June 2020, though we can show some flexibility on this for the right candidate, and in your first few months you should allow for 2 or 3 additional days for induction and orientation (including meeting a number of the Leadership Team). We’ll give you an induction and an experienced ENN trustee will be your mentor for your first year.
This is an unpaid, voluntary position. Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed for attendance at Board meetings and other Trustee activities in line with ENN’s policies. Some employers encourage and enable trusteeship as part of wider career development and corporate social responsibility; please check with your organisation and their relevant policies.
OUR VALUES AND COMMITMENT TO SAFEGUARDING
ENN is committed to equality and diversity throughout our organisation and further expects all employees to comply with its codes of conduct, safeguarding policies and high ethical and professional standards.
If you believe you’re the candidate we’re looking for please submit a CV and a covering letter of no more than 2 pages explaining how you believe your skills and experience match the requirements of the role, directly addressing the criteria outlined in the person specification. Please email this to: HR@ennonline.net . If you have any queries before applying or would like to chat informally about the opportunity and requirements, please email ENN’s Operations and Finance Director: email@example.com
Closing date: 17th May 2020
All candidates who we progress will be screened through Accuity World Compliance to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.
Appointment will be subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS check (or equivalent criminal records check where available, for non-UK citizens) and 2 satisfactory references. If you already have a transferrable enhanced DBS please state this no your application.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's