Treasurer - The British Horse Society
|Job Title:||Treasurer - The British Horse Society|
|Contact Name:||Marsha Gosling|
|Job Published:||June 05, 2019 14:43|
Established in 1947, The British Horse Society is the largest equine charity in the UK, with a growing membership of over 107,000. They are the charity dedicated to education, equine welfare, protecting and increasing access to bridleways and equestrian routes, the safety of the horse and the regular riders in the UK. They have a thriving and active community of staff and volunteers with the shared vision that every horse is respected, protected and enjoyed by knowledgeable, caring people.
The British Horse Society Trustee Board lead and govern the charity. Making sure that it is managed and administered adequately to achieve our charitable objectives.
As the Treasurer you will oversee the Society’s financial matters, ensuring they are in accordance with our governing document and legal requirements. You will ensure your fellow Trustees are kept updated on the financial health and management of the Society. As a result of your actions and support for the Trustee Board and Executive team The British Horse Society will have sound financial management now and in the future.
As a Trustee you will be responsible for the long-term strategic development of the Society. Your good governance will ensure that The British Horse Society grows and develops, continuing to deliver our charitable objectives for our beneficiaries. You will have the opportunity to utilise your skills and experience for charitable benefit and gain knowledge and understanding of the governance and development of a national equestrian charity.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
In addition to your Trustee duties and responsibilities you will:
- Chair The British Horse Society Finance Committees
- Attend The British Horse Society Audit Committee
- Ensure there is effective and appropriate financial management in all areas of the Society
- Ensure that there are robust, controls, policies and procedures in operation throughout the Society
- Ensure adequate budgets, forecasts, accounts, management accounts and financial statements are produced accurately and in a timely manner and are made available to and understood by the Trustee Board
- Ensure that the agreed reserves policy is adhered to at all times
- Ensure that the Annual Accounts and Report are prepared, agreed and submitted in accordance with our governing document and legal requirements
- Advise on the development and implementation of financial, reserves and investment policies Advise on the financial implications of strategic and annual operation plans
- Support the selection and management of the Director of Finance
- Provide on-going support and mentoring to the Director of Finance
Approximately 16 days per year. As this post is a co-opted position, the tenure is for one year; however, can be co-opted year on year if both parties agree.
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of current charity finance and fundraising practice
- Knowledge and understanding of SOFA, VAT and statutory accounting requirements
- Senior Financial Management experience, the Treasurer will be a qualified member of a recognised professional body
- Excellent financial analysis skills
- Good communication skills
- Personable with good team skills
- Experience of The British Horse Society
- Experience of being a charity trustee or company director
- Experience of strategic or business planning
- Knowledge of the implications of charity and company law
For comprehensive information about The British Horse Society, the role of Treasurer, and the person they are looking for, please download the Candidate Information Pack.
- Closing date for applications: Monday 8 July 2019
- Preliminary interviews with Trustees Unlimited: Monday 15 & Tuesday 16 July 2019
- Final interviews with The British Horse Society: Week commencing 29 July 2019
To apply for this position please provide the following two pieces of information:
- A comprehensive CV, including details of your achievements in each role and details of two referees.
- A supporting statement, explaining how you believe your skills and experience match the requirements of the role, directly addressing the criteria as outlined in the person specification.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's