|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Lily Axworthy|
|Job Published:||February 26, 2019 13:38|
Charity now seeking a new Treasurer
Greater Together Manchester is a dynamic and forward thinking charity, working across Greater Manchester to support communities to tackle deprivation and transform the lives of vulnerable people. The aim is to improve access to resources, make local work more effective, and create a framework for others to respond to the problem of poverty and deprivation. The charity was founded in 2015 as a joint venture between the Diocese of Manchester and Church Urban Fund, and is part of the Church Urban Fund’s ‘Together Network’. As well as supporting the development of individual community projects, GTM also runs a Winter Night Shelter programme in Manchester, which offers emergency accommodation and support to men who would otherwise be sleeping rough. The charity also coordinates the Place of Welcome network and holds the contract for the Near Neighbours programme for Greater Manchester. The day to day management of the charity has been delegated to our Development Officer, who is the board’s Reporting Officer and is also responsible for the management of the other three members of staff.
Our current Treasurer has been on the Board of Trustees for four years but is moving on. We are now looking to find an experienced and motivated individual with an understanding of the charity sector to join our Board of Trustees, and who will hold the position of Treasurer.
Being a Trustee
The Treasurer is a Trustee of the charity (Registered Number 1167704), and a Director of the company (Registered Number 09490223).
As a trustee, you will play a full strategic role in the governance of the organisation. In accordance with Charity Law, you would be expected to work reasonably in all matters relating to GTM, acting in the best interests of the charity, never in the interest of yourself or another organisation. You will work as part of the Board of Trustees to ensure that the charity is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit and in accordance with its aims and objectives, using your skills and experience to help the board reach sound decisions.
You will be expected to attend Board Meetings, which usually take place on Tuesday afternoons at the GTM office on Deansgate, Manchester, as well as committing approximately 2-3 hours to prepare and/or read through papers prior to each meeting. There may also be a requirement to meet with staff to discuss financial matters outside of these meetings and to act in an ambassadorial role for GTM at other meetings and events.
This is an exciting time for GTM as we have begun to look at our strategy for the next five years and are expanding the remit of our work to better achieve our charitable aims.
This is an unpaid, voluntary role, but presents a great opportunity for personal and career development.
The role would suit a range of people, from young professionals looking to broaden their leadership credentials, to senior or retired professionals looking to give something back to their local communities.
Trustees can claim travel and out-of-pocket expenses in accordance with GTM’s Expenses Policy.
Being a Treasurer
The role of the Treasurer is to maintain an overview of GTM’s financial position. You would work closely with the Reporting Officer to oversee the financial running of the charity in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and other legal requirements.
Specific Duties of the Treasurer:
General Financial Oversight
- Liaising with the Chair and Reporting Officer about financial matters.
- Working with staff to ensure that appropriate and effective financial measures, controls and procedures are put in place.
- Ensuring that GTM applies its recourses in pursuance of its objects.
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Working with designated staff and the wider Board of Trustees to ensure that the financial resources of GTM meet its present and future needs.
- Advising on the financial implications of GTM’s strategic and operational plans.
- Reporting to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals (approx. 4 times per year) about the financial health of the organisation.
- Working with the reporting officer and GTM’s appointed accountant to prepare the annual accounts, ensuring that any record-keeping and accounts are prepared and disclosed in accordance with the requirements of funders and relevant statutory bodies.
- Act as a signatory on GTM’s bank account(s) and, if required, process online transactions.
- Ability to think clearly and strategically.
- Commitment to and interest in the aims and objectives of Greater Together Manchester.
- Willingness to give time and effort to the role and to be available for enquiries on an ad-hoc basis.
- Ability to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
- Skills to analyse and interpret complex financial data
- Ability to present financial information in a way that is understandable for non-financially trained people
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Relevant financial qualifications and experience of operating at a senior level in finance
- Some experience of charity finance, including budget setting and fundraising
For an informal discussion about being Treasurer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0161 828 1409.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your CV and a covering letter, outlining your experience, interest and motivation in joining the Board of Trustees, to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 22nd March 2019. After this all candidates will be reviewed, with a shortlist invited to an informal meeting.