Treasurer Bexley Mencap
25 days ago
Our board plays an important role in ensuring that our organisation is truly great and impactful in every activity and service that it delivers. We aim to have a good mix of Trustees with a good range of skills and qualities, and a variety of professional and personal experience, which will help to ensure the board will make well-rounded decisions.
Collectively our board provide direction and oversight of the organisation by:
- Setting our vision, mission and values
- Contributing and overseeing the development of a strategy to help us achieve our objectives
- Ensuring that the people that we support are at the heart of everything we do and that we seek their views in developing strategy and services
- Ensuring that we comply with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Being responsible for the assets of the charity, including finances, buildings and our reputation
- To safeguard the good name and ethos of the organisation
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation
- To appoint the Director/Chief Executive Officer and monitor his/her performance
Our Board of Trustees has overall responsibility for the direction, management and control of Mencap, and is collectively accountable for compliance with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements. The role of a Trustee carries legal duties and responsibilities. The Board and executive team has recently signed up to a set of principles that guide how those teams will work together. The principles can be accessed at this link.
What we are looking for
We are seeking specific attributes to help us ensure that our charity’s objectives are met, which include;
- Passion and commitment to improving the lives of people with a learning disability and their families and carers
- A dedication to inclusive working, valuing difference and respecting all colleagues
- Able to challenge and debate with respect and accept constructive challenge
- Strong leadership even during uncertain or difficult times, providing a steadying influence on the organisation
- Strategic vision, strategy setting and evaluation
- Able to spot threats, plan contingencies and provide solutions
- A commitment to learning and developing personal knowledge about our work
- A commitment to shared accountability
- An ability to think creatively
- Pro-active and enthusiastic
- Honesty, integrity and reliability
We are particularly seeking Trustees who have the following skills, knowledge and experience;
- Business planning and development/social entrepreneurship
- Marketing, communications and social media
- Property and facilities management and acquisition
- Change Management
What we ask of our Trustees
Our Trustees are expected to attend all board meetings which are held bi-monthly and last for approximately two hours. In addition, we ask that Trustees:
- Send apologies to the chair for necessary absences.
- Prepare for the meeting by reading the agenda, papers and emails before the meeting.
- Talk to the chair before the meeting if you need to clarify anything.
- Arrive on time. Stay to the end.
- Participate fully in the meeting;
- Listen to what others have to say and keep an open mind.
- Contribute positively to the discussions.
- Have the best interests of the organisation/beneficiaries in mind at all times.
- Draw attention to any potential conflicts of interest that may arise in the meeting.
- Fulfil any responsibilities assigned to you at the meeting and be prepared to report back on your progress at the next meeting.
Trustees are also invited to our Annual General Meeting (AGM) which takes place during the day in November and may be asked to join sub-committees with a more specific area of focus on certain topics.
What you can expect in return
We hope that you will find a role of Trustee with Bexley Mencap an incredibly rewarding and positive experience. This is an exciting opportunity to join a friendly team and be part of the strategic direction of this growing organisation. As a Trustee with Bexley Mencap you can expect;
- The opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of people with a learning disability and their families and carers
- The opportunity to work with a highly committed and passionate team
- The opportunity to meet new people
- The opportunity to learn new skills and learn more about learning disabilities
- Relevant training and support