Treasurer for Thriving Community Transport Social Enterprise
|Job Title:||Treasurer for Thriving Community Transport Social Enterprise|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||May 24, 2019 19:15|
Westway Community Transport are seeking a new trustee to take over from their Treasurer to oversee the financial probity and health of one of the leading London charitable transport providers helping communities and individuals stay connected, independent and well.
About Westway Community Transport
We have a committed team of 14 trustees with a wide range of professional skills and representation of the communities we serve. Our governance cycle is quarterly. Meetings (usually Tuesday afternoons) are interesting, well serviced and well chaired, conducted in a constructive and pleasant atmosphere.
We are looking for someone with: senior level financial experience and business planning skills; a good understanding of management accounts, balance sheets and budget setting; the skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences.
If all this sounds like a good fit, then we would love to talk to you and answer any questions that you may have. In the meantime, below is a little more detail about what this role entails.
The Treasurer is expected to maintain an overview of Westway CT Group’s affairs by:
- ensuring the preparation and presentation of financial reports by senior staff to the Westway CT Management Committee and its subsidiary Westway CT Trading Board of Directors on a quarterly basis
- ensuring that the organisation has an appropriate reserves policy
- ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
- liaising with senior staff about financial matters as required
- advising on the financial implications of Westway CT Group’s strategic/business plan (s)
- monitoring alongside the Finance, Development & Staffing Sub-Committee, Westway CT Group’s investment activity and ensuring its consistency with the organisation’s policies and legal responsibilities
- ensuring that accounts are audited in a manner as prescribed in accordance with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and Companies House regulations, and any recommendations of the auditors are implemented
- participating as required in the formal presentation of the statutory accounts at AGMs
We are looking for someone with experience of high level financial management and/or oversight in a professional or governance capacity.
Necessary skills to include:
- an understanding of (or willingness to learn) the financial guidelines set out in current legislative and best practice by the Charity Commission, the Financial Conduct Authority, HMRC etc.
- a willingness to ensure that the trustee board understands and fulfils its duties and responsibilities for proper financial governance
- an understanding of adequate internal financial controls and willingness to periodically monitor and review these in conjunction with the CEO and Finance Manager
- an ability to scrutinise, evaluate and advise on management accounts, performance against budget, trading performance etc. as well as the consideration of longer term forecasts, reserves and investment policies etc.
- an ability and interest in identifying and advising on financial implications and operational risks arising from strategic and policy decisions as well those arising from the external environment
- Accounting or auditing experience would be an advantage but is not essential.
What difference will you make?
You would be joining and helping to lead a dynamic, forward thinking, community helping to keep people independent, connected, happy and well. We pride ourselves on being affordable, accessible (in all senses of the word), ethical and sustainable in our aims and delivery model. You would contribute to the development of the organisation and help us in the stewardship of our income streams, our healthy reserves and cautious investments to maximise what we can offer to local voluntary organisations, self help groups and socially disadvantaged and isolated people. The Westway CT group turns over approximately £2M pa and currently raises over 90% in self generated income, providing over 341,000 passenger journeys to children, young and elderly people from diverse backgrounds and often frail, with reduced mobility and/or have a physical or learning disability.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
You would be part of a friendly, lively and engaged team and we are certain that you would find it rewarding and enjoyable! Outgoing trustee comments have included:
‘I have enjoyed my time with Westway CT, its well run and well managed.’
‘What attracted me to Westway CT was the enthusiasm of the staff'
'being a part of an organisation was addressing the issue of reduced funding by generating income from its own resources was energising’
If you feel that you would like to make a difference and have skills that can help us get to where we want to be then please get in touch, for informal chat and we can take it from there.
Time commitment for the Treasurer would involve 6 hours of meetings as well as associated reading of papers every 3 months, and attendance at the AGM. This position is a monitoring one, applying an analytic and risk management approach in overseeing the financial duties and reporting of the CEO and Finance Manager.
Ideally we would like to appoint in July in readiness for our August governance cycle so that the this trustee is well grounded prior to election at the AGM on 24th September 2019. We shall be re-tendering for our Auditors for F/Y 2020-21 this summer and believe that the new Treasurer should if possible, have been involved in our final choice.
How to apply
Please look at our profile on the Reach Volunteering website and contact the CEO, Kathleen Lyons, for an informal chat by clicking on the 'ask a question' or 'apply' buttons.