4 days ago
Trustee and Treasurer
The Koestler Trust , the UK’s oldest and most respected arts and criminal justice charity, seeks a new Trustee to join its Board in the role of Treasurer, to take an active part in the delivery of its mission and to ensure its proper and efficient governance, management and operation. Trustees guide strategy and direction and act as ambassadors for the Koestler Trust.
Trustees meet for about two hours approximately four times a year, usually afternoons in Central London
Trustee role description :
To contribute to robust governance of the charity, ensuring adherence to regulatory requirements; and pursuit of good practice in its delivery to beneficiaries.
To develop policy and strategy.
To represent and act as an ambassador for the charity and in the best interests of beneficiaries at all times,
To support the Koestler trust staff team’s fundraising.
To attend and contribute to regular meetings of the Board.
In addition to the responsibilities of a Trustee, duties of the Treasurer include Chairing the quarterly Finance and Strategy subcommittee of the Board and the following
- Reviewing and presenting financial reports to the Board;
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points.
- Ensuring that the financial resources of the Trust meet its present and future needs; including reserves
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place;
- Authorising major items of expenditure;
- Advising on the financial implications of the Koestler Trust’s strategic plans;
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, for example the Charity Commission and/or the Registrar of Companies;
- If external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensuring that the accounts are properly audited and any recommendations are implemented;
- Advising on the appointment of auditors, if applicable, review their performance and report to the Board;
- Liaising with auditors, tax advisers and payroll providers on behalf of the Board if required
- A commitment to the aims and objectives of the Koestler Trust, and to devote the necessary time.
- Strategic vision and good independent judgement
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- A commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
In addition to the person specification for a Trustee, the Treasurer should have the following qualities.
- Financial qualifications and experience
- Some experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
- The ability to communicate financial information to non-finance specialists