Treasurer- Chair of the Finance Committee, Board of Trustees
|Job Title:||Treasurer- Chair of the Finance Committee, Board of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Victoria Benson|
|Job Published:||September 23, 2019 13:35|
Treasurer – Chair of the Finance Committee, Board of Trustees
Thank you for your interest in joining the Board of Trustees for Gingerbread in the key role of Treasurer. These notes are intended to assist you in completing your application. The Board is keen to ensure that new Trustees strengthen the Board’s mix of skills, expertise and diversity, understand the expectations of the role and accept the Code of Conduct that all our Trustees are expected to adhere to.
Why join our Board
In this role you will be joining Gingerbread at an exciting time. We have recently celebrated our 100th year, launched our new three-year strategy and have committed to a strong focus on our fundraising and the way in which we engage with our beneficiaries and evidence the impact of that engagement.
Single parents make up about a quarter of all families with children. Despite the positive changes achieved over the past 100 years, inequality and disadvantage still stand in the way of single parents providing their families with the security they deserve and the opportunities to flourish. Our mission is to champion and enable single parent families to live secure, fulfilling and happy lives.
We hope you will also find time to browse the website for further information here: https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Trustee for Gingerbread who can take up the role of Treasurer. The Treasurer is the Chair of the Finance Committee and plays an essential role on the Board of Gingerbread. The specific tasks and responsibilities of the Treasurer are described in the role description (below).
The Board of Trustees are responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, developing Gingerbread’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the Articles of Association as well as legal and regulatory guidelines. As a Trustee you have the following responsibilities:
- Ensuring that Gingerbread complies with its governing document (its Articles of Association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that Gingerbread pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- Ensuring Gingerbread applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects, i.e. it must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be
- Contributing actively to the Board of Trustees' role by giving firm strategic direction to Gingerbread by: setting overall policy; defining goals; setting targets; and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguarding the good name and values of Gingerbread and acting in its best interests
- Ensuring the financial stability of Gingerbread and managing its resources responsibly
- Protecting and managing the property of Gingerbread and ensuring the proper investment of Gingerbread’s funds
- Appointing and supporting the Chief Executive Officer and monitoring his/her performance.
Trustees generally meet for full Board which are held 4 times a year and also include 2 Board strategy half days. Trustees are expected to attend all meetings.
The Treasurer will chair the Finance Committee of the Board which meets 4 times a year and more frequently as required. The Treasurer may also meet with the Finance team and the CEO as required. Currently we are meeting with more frequency and any applicants should be able to accommodate this time commitment
Trustees’ expenses (for travel to Board meetings and overnight accommodation where required) are paid, but the role itself is without remuneration.
How to Apply
Please read the full role description for the role below. The person specification sets out the skills and experience we are looking for.
If you are interested in becoming a Trustee and would like to talk informally to someone first, please contact Victoria Benson, Chief Executive Officer on 07983 613242 or firstname.lastname@example.org who can answer queries or put you in touch with the Chair or a Trustee for a confidential conversation.
If you wish to apply please e-mail Victoria, providing a short statement outlining why you would like to be our Treasurer and what skills and experience you would bring to this role, as well as a short CV.
The Nominations Committee will interview candidates and will make recommendations to the Board.
Equality and Diversity
We want to recruit people from a range of backgrounds. To help us monitor the effectiveness of our recruitment, please complete a diversity monitoring questionnaire online. This data is completely anonymous, is stored confidentially by our HR team and will not be seen by the selection panel.
Chief Executive Officer
Job Title: Treasurer – Chair of the Finance Committee
Reporting to: Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Monitor all financial aspects of the charity and financial reports, on behalf of the Board of Trustees, to ensure Gingerbread’s short and longer-term viability
- Assist the Chair and the Chief Executive in ensuring that the Board of Trustees fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of the charity.
- Liaise with external auditors on financial issues and ensure the charity’s finances are responsibly managed and invested.
Duties and tasks to fulfil the key responsibilities
- Lead the Board’s duty to ensure that Gingerbread operates with proper accounting records and responsibly controls financial resources and investments in line with the financial governance, legal and other regulatory requirements
- Ensure that the charity has adequate financial and internal audit controls and that these are monitored and reviewed regularly
- Liaise with the CEO and Head of Finance to ensure that intangible assets such as organisational knowledge and expertise, intellectual property, the charity’s good name and reputation etc. are properly valued, utilised and safeguarded.
- Chair the Finance Committee in line with the terms of reference and recommend and report findings /developments to the Board of Trustees.
- Identify and bring to the attention of the Board, any financial risks facing the charity
Budget & Strategic Financial Planning
- Scrutinise the proposed annual budget, and advise and guide the Board on the financial implications and risks accordingly
- Ensure that strategic financial plans/budgets are aligned to short and longer term objectives each year.
- Recommend (or suggest) alternative scenarios when evaluating strategic plans as part of the risk management process.
- Ensure greater transparency and accountability in the management and allocation of resources in line with Statement of Recommended Practice (SORP) guidelines.
- To advise on and develop the Board’s Reserves Policy, and to ensure that this policy is reviewed and monitored regularly
- To keep the Board informed of its free reserves and advise on actions to cope with changing circumstances
- Liaise with the Head of Finance to scrutinise management accounts, performance against budget etc., ensuring a high standard of management accounting is maintained, and to advise the Board accordingly
Audit /Statutory Requirements
- Liaise with the External Auditors on the auditing process and related representations to the Board
- Guide and advise the Board of Trustees on the approval of the Annual Report and audited accounts.
- Qualified accountant with experience of financial control and budgeting at a senior level, preferably with experience in the voluntary sector
- Commitment to the organisation
- Willingness and ability to devote the necessary time and effort
- Good financial analysis skills
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's